Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where did they come from?

Page 5 + 1 of 9

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MickT

MickT Report 16 Apr 2006 15:49

Hi Ken If you get the chance could you check:----- Turley Barber Arscott Willis TiA Mickt

marie from stoke

marie from stoke Report 16 Apr 2006 15:56

Hello Ken, if you have time would you look up: Caron Connor Messenger Lang Whitehead Thankyou Very Much Marie: )

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 16:12

Tilden - SUSSEX - HASTINGS No doubt LOL Coventry - 3 areas Central Scotland (Kinrosshire & Fifeshire) Lancs (W. Derby & Wirral), Berks. (Bradfield) Waite - W. Riding, Wharfedale (Bradford & Leeds) Norman - mainly Southern England - North Devon, Barnstaple but not Cornwall ---------------------------------------------------------- Chapman - fairly common name exclusively English generally Eastern / SE counties ( Aysgarth N.Riding?) ---------------------------------------------------------- Turley - West Midlands, Dudley & Wolverhampton, Staffs. Barber - Macclesfield, West Midlands Arscott - DEVON emphatically, Okehampton (Totnes) Willis quite widespread concentrations in major cities London, Bristol, Liverpool and Birmingham makes it hard to determine origin ( Faringdon, Berkshire )

MickT

MickT Report 16 Apr 2006 16:26

Hi Ken Thanks for looking.---------but, with mine anyway---- Turley Lambeth(from c.1820. Whitechapel c.1760) Barber Pretty much the same. Willis Nothumberland/Durham Arscott also N&D, but originally SW Devon (Tavistock area) Mickt

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 16:28

Caron - Hackney, London is this an imported name? Conner - Liverpool, W. Derby and Prescot { Connor - LIverpool } again I suspect this to be an immigration trail Messenger - Cumberland, Cockermouth and Wigton ( to lesser extent Middx & Surrey) Lang - very interesting stark differences Devon, Newton Abbot, Totnes Tavistock & Okehampton - Lanarkshire - Blackburn and Preston Whitehead - Lancs Oldham & Saddleworth

marie from stoke

marie from stoke Report 16 Apr 2006 16:54

Thankyou Ken, this is very interesting, my Carons upto now come from the Middlesex area Bethnal Green going back to the beginning of the 1800s, but pretty sure have a French Connection. My Connors come from the Manchester Area upto now anyway, was told maybe Ireland. My Lang name also Manchester but possible county Cork in Ireland although a possible Scottish name. Whiteheads all upto now have come from Stoke on Trent, but I have noticed over many months of research that a lot of people with the name Whitehead seem to come from the Oldham Area. Thanking you again! Marie : )

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 16 Apr 2006 17:13

Hi Ken the name Goodchild and Poole when you have time thank you Margaret

Linen

Linen Report 16 Apr 2006 17:25

Hi Ken, you got connected then! Good to see you. How about a couple of mine, just to keep you busy. Mobey Waddy Gregory Barker Philpot Ok, bit more than a couple but I was surprised where three of them led me, wonder what you come up with. Vivienne

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 16 Apr 2006 17:29

Go on then Ken - have ago with these: Colwood Chilton Downes Graves Doe

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 17:45

Goodchild - SE England, Bucks & Suffolk, Wycombe & Hoxne Poole - West of England, from Lancs to Gloucs, Tetbury and Barton Regis ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Viv I'm ready to get shot down in flames on these lol Mobey - Woodstock, Oxon Waddy - East Riding, Sculcoates (Islington & Camberwell) Gregory - Derbyshire - Bakewell (Sheffield) Barker - West and North Ridings Todmorden and Thirsk & Richmond Philpot - Suffolk, Blything (Depwade)

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 17:57

Colwood - rarer than I expected Wakefield ( poss Dudley) Chilton - 2 centres Wycombe & Amersham, Bucks and Madeley ( Shropshire) Downes - Shropshire, Atcham ( and lesser extent Church Stretton) Graves - a lot more localised than I expected Louth, Lincs Doe - Essex Braintree (Dunmow & Chelmsford) interesting to see a settlement in Hoo, N. Kent relatively large percentage of population

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 16 Apr 2006 18:09

Hi Ken all my Goodchilds come from Berkshire and my Pooles came from Suffolk thank you Margaret

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 16 Apr 2006 18:12

Goddard Finch Chalk Battrum Grayston When you get time Ken thank you Margaret

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 18:17

Margaret rechecked yours Poole - Hoxne 0.3 % of population Goodchild - to lesser extent Newbury 0.14 % Ken xx

Linen

Linen Report 16 Apr 2006 18:24

Thanks Ken, interesting! Mobey-----spot on, thats where my family are from, even if they change the spelling from time to time. I also have Molby & Moby Waddy---I'm not up on northern, got a shock when I found out about this lot. Would Holbeck come under East Riding, thats where my lot are from, back to 1802? Barker----my birth name, even bigger shock with this lot, thought they were from Kensington, had visions of money, but no, traced them back to 1750 in Nottinghamshire. Gregory-----Doesn't come anywhere close to those you've found, Oxfordshire back to 1807 All the above Ag Labs Philpot-----I'm surprised at your findings on this one. Was there no mention of East London ? This is my mothers family & my cousin has done a lot of research confirming ancesters back to 1710. Not as far as we can determine one of ours but there was a Lord Mayor of London 1378--1379, Sir John Philipot/Philpot Most of our Philpots were weavers & it is thought they were silk weavers, Huguenots, the name originally being Philipot, son of Philip. Vivienne

Tillot

Tillot Report 16 Apr 2006 18:28

Hi Ken, Oh how interesting. Some names of interest to me are: Barker Buckett Earls Beardmore Earwicker Armishaw Many Thanks! Helen

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 18:34

Margaret, I did this earlier rest to follow Finch - SE England , Essex/Suffolk borders - Sudbury (Suffolk) - Reigate

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 18:46

Goddard - 2 areas Ormskirk in Lancs, & East Anglia (Woodbridge) going by your previous names expect the latter Chalk - I had thought this would be South Downs area, Hampshire, Alderbury (Fordingbridge) Battrum - Stow, Suffolk Grayston - Suffolk, Woodbidge

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 16 Apr 2006 19:04

Hi Viv Philpott - Poplar and Bethnal Green suit you? I tend to overlook London as it is a magnet for everyone Gregory - no change on Derbyshire Bakewell 1.2% of population are Gregorys whereas Oxfordshire is 0.1% ( Banbury poss. 0.32 %) Waddy - was there an alternative spelling to this or had they all moved away from Holbeck by mid/late 1800's? there is no trace in that area at all Ken xx

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 16 Apr 2006 19:09

Thanks Ken - just about right - my Doe's come from Lincolnshire though.