Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

* TRIBAL PAGES TIPS *

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindaG

LindaG Report 31 Mar 2006 08:22

Tribal Pages is a website that you may find useful to use along side GR. It's tree display is good and you can customise it. The search facilities - looking for relatives in other people's trees are not so useful as the search is purely by name/date and you can't see place of birth (Sounds like Hot Matches!). It is not a substitute for a good Family Tree program on your own PC. I've put a couple of hints on here, please feel free to add you own...

LindaG

LindaG Report 31 Mar 2006 08:23

The website is http://www.tribalpages(.)com/ Post 1: Uploading a GEDCOM Post 2: Privacy and Visitors UPLOADING A GEDCOM Export your tree to a GEDCOM. You can do this from GR, but be patient. It takes ages (hours)! Or you can do it from a program like FTM at home. Set up an account with Tribal Click on Edit and enter your Administrator password Go to Tools Go to Files Scroll Down and in the Import ing a GEDCOM File section, browse to find the GEDCOM that you have just created. Click on Send File. Wait. The file will upload to Tribal. Once it has uploaded, close your browser Window and forget about Tribal until you get an email saying it has been processed. You won't be able to do anything in your Tribal account until it has. Once it has...

LindaG

LindaG Report 31 Mar 2006 08:24

PRIVACY AND VISITORS You are asked at account creation time whether you want your tree to be Private. If you said you want to keep it private, your names will not be searchable. So nobody will know about your tree. However anyone can get into it and look f they know your User ID for Tribal Pages. (or mis-type someone else's!) Once your tree is loaded, go into Edit mode -: Click on Edit and then put in your password Click on Tools Click on Preferences Click on Web Site Settings In here you can set a password for Visitors to view your tree. Make it different to your Administrator password! Click on sign out You then get the password box and will have to enter your visitor password to view your tree.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 31 Mar 2006 09:24

Hi Linda, Thankyou so much for this message. I exported my gedcom yesterday from g.r and logged onto tribal pages this morning to upload it, and I was tottaly baffled and didn't have a clue what to do! So I came on to g.r to ask for help and found your message which was so clear that I had no problem following it. I am now just waiting for it to upload. Thanks again, Jackie.

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 31 Mar 2006 10:34

Do you fancy doing some fancy stuff on your Tribal site? Here are a few easy tips to follow using HTML codes: BOLD TYPE Use this code <b> at the start of your sentence or word and at the end of the sentence or word put this code </b> Think of it as switching the bold on with the first code and switching it off with the second code. ITALICS <i> to begin italics </i> to end italics. NEW PARAGRAPH (very hand in Tribal as text displays in just one huge junk otherwise). <p> to begin the paragraph </p> to end. BULLET POINTS <li> (No need to end this one with anything. So, for exampe, if you have a bulleted list you would type it thus: <li>TEXT TEXT TEXT<li>TEXT TEXT TEXT<li>TEXT TEXT TEXT and it would appear as a bullet list (one underneath the other) when you exit EDIT MODE. I can't show you on here because there are no bullets to use in Genes. That's all for now - have a practice and you'll soon get the hang of it. Just remember that apart from the bullets you MUST remember to close the HTML code off at the end of the required text. If you get stuck PM me and I'll try to help. Have fun making your Tribal trees attractive!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 31 Mar 2006 10:52

I have 2 accounts with tribal pages. One is 'locked' and only accessible to those with the password as it contains photos and up-to-date information etc. The other one just contains long dead ancestors and is accessible to anyone so they can take a look to see if we have a connection. Jeanette x

LindaG

LindaG Report 31 Mar 2006 11:09

What a good idea Jeanette! Lx

Amanda

Amanda Report 31 Mar 2006 13:09

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it.

Sue

Sue Report 31 Mar 2006 13:18

Hello Ladies Thanks for the tips - love tribal pages but the notes section drives me potty - now I can sort it out Cheers again Sue

LindaG

LindaG Report 31 Mar 2006 15:09

MGHS - just been to Gen circles and I like it's search facilities - much better than Tribal http://www.gencircles(.)com/ Not so good for diagram/pictorial display as Tribal also the privacy thing isn't as good? Well it's different. Anyone can search your tree if you choose to submit it to the engines and then view what you have. You can optionally allow limited GED downloads from your tree by others. Have just put my tree up there too... Will have to strat a Gencircles thread if that gets popular too. Lx

Raven

Raven Report 31 Mar 2006 15:36

Have been on Gencircles for about a year now. First found the Surname message boards. Everytime you update your GEDCOM file they do SMARTMATCHES. Usually takes 24 hours for them to do it. They promote the use of Family Tree Legends. Much like FTM. But can't do an All-in-one Tree. Anne

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 31 Mar 2006 16:05

Following on from Athena Underlining <u> On </u> Off Chris who's partner has been having a play :)))

Hilary

Hilary Report 31 Mar 2006 16:09

Thanks for this, I had looked & signed on but was'nt sure how to do it. Will now have a go. Thanks for explaining in English for us thickies. lol. Hilary.

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 31 Mar 2006 16:16

...and here's another one... CENTRED TEXT <center> to switch it on </center> to switch it off (NB - use this spelling of it - and it doesn't seem to work if you put just the 'c', so put word in full).

Suzie

Suzie Report 1 Apr 2006 00:59

I too thought this was a great idea. My tree exported from GR in about a minute! But Tribal says it can take 24 hours to import! LOL. As long as it goes there for keeping I don't care!

Ann

Ann Report 1 Apr 2006 05:00

nudge

LindaG

LindaG Report 1 Apr 2006 11:06

Suzanne - was the moon blue when you did your export? Well done! Lx

Yogi

Yogi Report 1 Apr 2006 11:19

nudge for later

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Apr 2006 18:31

Linda Thank you for this thread. I too have a Tribal page and love the layout etc. now i have the tips, its even better. HOWEVER... I am having trouble downloading my saved tree. Everytime i do it i get a page of text of my tree! I have downloaded before with no problem, but for the last few months i can't seem to do it. I have emailed Tribal pages 7 times now and not 1 answer, so not impressed with their support. I have emailed them again just now but i won't hold my breath. So sadly i am now having to look elsewhere when my subscription run outs. I would be interested to find out if anyone else is having or had this problem. Many Thanks, Annie

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 2 Apr 2006 10:13

I'm sure sometime ago I read another thread about tribal pages. I joined up after this and am really pleased with it. I am sure though that someone had put music on theirs, does anyone know how to do it? Carol