Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Great Grandfather - Please Help...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 6 Mar 2006 16:57

Hi, Not sure if anyone can help but here goes. I cannot find a birth ref for my great grandfather Paul Gustave Milleret. From Census info, his death certificate & his father's naturalization document he would have been born in 1859 poss 1860. His father Paul Milleret was Naturalized in 1870 and Paul Gustave Milleret is listed on the papers as being 10 years old and his father had resided in the UK for 17 years prior to Naturalization. Paul Gustave Milleret's parents (Paul Milleret b. 1831 Geneva & Fanny Scargell b. 1838 Cambs) married on 13.01.1860 & their second child was born in Dec 1860 so this makes it even more likely that my Great Grandfather, Paul Gustave Milleret was born before they were married in 1859. I have searched birth records from Jan 1858 - Dec 1862 - no luck, even searched under Scargell in case he was given Mum's name as weren't married. Anyone got any ideas? He just doesn't seem to have a birth record? Any help or suggestions, much appreciated. Thanks, Lou

Merry

Merry Report 6 Mar 2006 17:04

This family? 1861: Margaret Bassett abt 1844 London, England Servant Clerkenwell St James Middlesex Fanny Millent abt 1839 Cambridgeshire, England Wife Clerkenwell St James Middlesex Florence Millent abt 1860 London, England Daughter Clerkenwell St James Middlesex Paul Millent abt 1831 Genera, Switzerland Head Clerkenwell St James Middlesex Paul Millent abt 1859 London, England Son Clerkenwell St James Middlesex There was no legal obligation to register a birth until 1875 :o(( Merry

Louise

Louise Report 6 Mar 2006 17:06

That's my lot Merry - it just seems odd they had 5 kids and they were all registered except Paul Gustave but nevermind. Would just love to know his exact d.o.b. Thanks for the reply.

Merry

Merry Report 6 Mar 2006 17:09

I expect he wasn't registered because he was born out of wedlock....... The percentage of unregistered births is much higher in that catagory. Maybe the registrars tended to look down their noses!! Merry

Louise

Louise Report 6 Mar 2006 17:11

You are probably right - it is just so frustrating when you know you will probably never find out the information...

Wendy

Wendy Report 6 Mar 2006 23:33

If you can trace a baptism it may give date of birth.

Georgina

Georgina Report 6 Mar 2006 23:48

The same family in 1881... Paul MILLERET Head M Male 47 B S , Germany Watch Manufact Fanny MILLERET Wife M Female 42 London, London, Middlesex, England Paul MILLERET Son U Male 20 London, London, Middlesex, England Watch Manufact Florence MILLERET Dau U Female 18 London, London, Middlesex, England Oleandre MILLERET Dau U Female 16 London, London, Middlesex, England Albert G. MILLERET Son U Male 6 London, London, Middlesex, England Scholar Elizabeth RENDALL Serv U Female 26 Royston, Cambridge, England Dom Serv Sarah GRANT Serv U Female 25 St Ives, Cambridge, England Dom Serv Cook Source Information: Dwelling 11 Lonsdale Sq Census Place London, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341050 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0228 / 64 Page Number 27 Georgina.

Gillian

Gillian Report 29 Aug 2016 03:47

You have probably solved the problem of Paul Gustave Milleret's birth, but I thought I would pass on what I have discovered. Like you, I thought since Paul Gustave was born out of wedlock, his birth was registered with his mother's name. However, I think you will find that he is registered in 1859 as Paul Gustave Martin, Lambeth, volume 1d, page 294. I'm sure you will want to order his birth certificate to confirm this and I hope you will post a response on this site.

Pam

Pam Report 29 Aug 2016 09:14

If you click on Louise's name on the left hand side you can send her a message as she probably isn't watching her post for replies.