Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREECEN......Recruiting again........Plus Channel

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 13:22

see below

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 13:32

Hi Everyone, As most of you probably know by now, I do a bit of transcribing for the FreeCen project. And once again I am here to ask if any of you good people would like to give it a go yourselves. My County Co-ordinator, Carol, is once again recruiting new volunteers for ALL counties. Carol tells me that most counties are available on CD so, if you would like to volunteer, contact me through the site and I will pass on her email address. There is now a Co-ordinator for the CHANNEL ISLANDS, so if that's your area of interest, why not give it a go. Basically what is involved is you download a program from the FreeCen site which includes instructions and aids for transcribing. You will be sent a CD (or microfiche if you have a fiche reader. Not many of us do!) which will contain a copy of an original piece from the census. Our job as transcribers is to try and work out what is written on the census and transfer the info onto the program ready to be uploaded onto the site. It might seem a bit confusing at first, but take it from me, if I can do it, anyone can! lol. Your county co-ordinator is always there to help with any queries you might have. Or there are several other GR members who transcribe as well as myself and we may be able to help. We have a thread running on the Tips Board where we can go to ask for or offer help. FreeCen is a voluntary project so you are not under any time constraints. Any time you can offer will be gratefully appreciated, even if it‘s only an hour a week. If you would like to find out more about the project go to http://freecen.rootsweb(.)com/ *Remove brackets* CHECKING How do those of you with a some transcribing experience fancy doing a bit of checking? The sooner a piece is checked, the sooner it can be validated and uploaded to the site. Ask your County Co-ordinator if they need any help with this. I'm just about to give it a go for the first time. Fingers crossed! lol Jeanette x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 13:43

Have messaged you Marion :-)

Sue

Sue Report 15 Jan 2006 13:44

Hi Jeanette, Just a quick question? Do they just allocate you a county to transcribe or do you get to choose? Put my name forward i will give it a go Sue

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 13:49

Hi Sue You can choose which county you want to do. They do say that it is easier if you are actually familiar with the county you are transcribing for place names etc. But to be honest, I think if you are researching that area, you do become familiar with the names anyway. I'll message you now

Penelope

Penelope Report 15 Jan 2006 15:27

Hi Jeanette, I put my name forward last summer when you had a thread on here with my email a lady contacted me saying that she had past my name on to a chap sorting out Dorset and then I never heard anything back !!! I don't care what area I do - just want to help. Pen x (Justine)

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 15:32

Have messaged you Sandra :-) Pen/Justine - will message you. Wonder if they've had a change of co-ordinator or summat!

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 15 Jan 2006 15:42

I gave my name to Carol last time but nothing happened, Rosalyn

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 15 Jan 2006 15:42

Id be happy to do Poole Dorset born and raised there

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 15:49

Have messaged you Rosalyn and Sue :-)

Dawn

Dawn Report 15 Jan 2006 15:51

Hi Jeanette im interested in having ago now all my kids are at school all day i have some time on my hands Thanks Dawn

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 15:57

Message coming your way Dawn :-)

Dawn

Dawn Report 15 Jan 2006 15:59

Thanks Jeanette

Damara

Damara Report 15 Jan 2006 16:33

Hi Jeanette You can put my name forward, too. I live in Kent, research families from Kent, Norfolk, Staffordshire and Middlesex, but don't really mind. Davina

Joanie

Joanie Report 15 Jan 2006 17:07

Hi Jeannette, put me down i could do a couple of hours a week....Joanie

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 17:09

Have messaged you Davina and Ed :-) Joanie - just going to message you now

Paul

Paul Report 15 Jan 2006 19:51

Jeanette! I'll join in the fun if I can! never done it before though. But if i'm accepted, can I do some West Norfolk ones if possible? Thanks!

Carol

Carol Report 15 Jan 2006 19:55

hi jeanette i'm interested i live in sth yorkshire carol

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2006 19:59

Have messaged you Paul :-) Just messaging you Carol!

♫Jilly McMad♫

♫Jilly McMad♫ Report 15 Jan 2006 20:05

Jeanette - I'd be interested in any Scottish ones..