Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry To Introduce all BMD from 1837 to date (n

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 11 Jan 2006 10:53

see below

Zoe

Zoe Report 11 Jan 2006 10:53

Just recieved a press release regarding their assistance on WDYTYA and offering ancestry spokesbods to do interviews etc - all of which is very boring unless you're a journo. BUT, hidden in middle of press release is the following ............... 'It is now the only UK genealogy site to offer the entire birth, marriages and deaths index for England and Wales from 1837 to the present day ; the index will be online from January 18th.' slightly gutted as I just puchased a load of units from 1837 - but good news for everyone else. Perhaps this is the reason 1837 did their 'special' offers just before new year. Zoe.

Sam

Sam Report 11 Jan 2006 10:55

Wow, I hope that's true! I very nearly purchased units yesterday from 1837 but decided I couldn't afford it, so glad I didn't now as I do have an Ancestry subscription! Sam x

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jan 2006 10:59

That is great news Zoe, thanks for bringing it to our attention. Gloria

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jan 2006 10:59

I do think it is why 1837 did their special offers...........even so, there will still be times when you need to see the original page and if it can't be viewed through FreeBMD then those units for 1837 will still get used up eventually! Maybe we will all have to hope for a lot of overseas ancestors and use up our units on the overseas part of 1837! Merry

Kate

Kate Report 11 Jan 2006 11:00

I noticed the other day they (ancestry) had changed the name of the FreeBMD database to 'England and Wales Birth-Marriage-Death Index, 1837-1983', presumably ready for this. Whether that will be the name of the new database, or not, I don't know. Can't wait till the 18th! Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 11 Jan 2006 11:02

Oh, but anyway, 1837 online are taking over the databases that 'The National Archivist' website has, soon, so you should be able to use those credits to view things like passport applications index and death duties index. And I seem to remember 1837 online promised other databases were coming soon but didn't specify what they were. Kate.

Zoe

Zoe Report 11 Jan 2006 11:03

also spotted another bit: they're offering free access to 1901 census for duration of Who Do You THink You Are current series

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 11 Jan 2006 11:06

Zoe.... Thank you ... that is brilliant news. Was thinking that renewing my Ancestry for a year was a waste of money 'cause at the moment don't need the census...... Could be why freebmd is being such a pain to use at the moment ... lots of changes going on. Presumably they will only charge for info that is not on freebmd.... as a transcriber I will be really miffed if they gain from my voluntary work. Jean x.

Andy

Andy Report 11 Jan 2006 11:08

Cheers Zoe, that's excellent news, am glad I took out a years subscription not long ago now. Now, about the 1841 census.... ;)

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 11 Jan 2006 11:09

wow! thats brilliant news zoe. i might be able to find all those ruddy marriages that have had me climbing walls lol susie

Zoe

Zoe Report 11 Jan 2006 11:10

I actually read it as being the GRO index that they're including rather than a full version of freeBMD i.e. they'regonna offer the same facility as 1837online but under your subscription. the press release isn't worded very well but I suppose unless you use the things (which I doubt the press officer does) you don't really know how ambguous that statement is Zoe

Heather

Heather Report 11 Jan 2006 11:12

Oh fantastic. So we were all right then, thats the reason for 1837 trying to tie people up for a year! Woo hoo, the WHOLE index, do you really think it will be the lot, woo hoo.

Mumoftwoboys

Mumoftwoboys Report 11 Jan 2006 11:20

Hi Zoe, I too bought up some 1837 units using the special offer. Rats!!! Oh well, I'm sure they get used up eventually as I find the odd gap on Ancestry - sometimes filled by FreeBMD - and it's nice to confirm via another source. Just glad the units are valid for 12 months Julie

Kate

Kate Report 11 Jan 2006 11:21

If it is just the same facility as 1837 online, The Genealogist, Family Relatives etc. why would they claim to be the only UK genealogy website to offer it??! Kate.

Zoe

Zoe Report 11 Jan 2006 11:23

Kate aah - good point - didn't think of that. well - we only have one more week to wait and find out what it is - thats a whole 7 days of speculation and rumour and ill-informed translations of press releases ;o))

Germaine

Germaine Report 11 Jan 2006 11:24

That is great news. ancestry is getting better valueall the time. Germaine x

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Jan 2006 11:26

thanks Zoe for letting us know - that might give me the kick up the a**e I need to start work on mine again! Maz. XX

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 11 Jan 2006 11:39

Thanks Zoe! Daisy

Vicky

Vicky Report 11 Jan 2006 11:43

Is anyone a bit suspicious that Ancestry might not offer any of their new facilities 'FREE' with your existing subscription? For example, WHEN we get 1841, you will only get it free with a DELUXE membership?