Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

brain turned to mush!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 12:57

why can i not find my g.grands? i have them on 1901 census but nothing before,cant find marriage, looked on 1837online, familysearch, freebmd, ancestry. i have newspaper obituary for her also giving his death year.what can i do?

Kate

Kate Report 29 Dec 2005 12:58

Put up the details you have from the 1901 census and see if anybody else can find them before that. Kate.

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 13:16

info from 1901 census; rees thomas 1874 pontneathvaughan (neath?) electric engine driver, ann thomas 1878 login carmarthenshire, ll thomas 1900. living 15, high street, hirwaun. (lived there till ann died 1947). i was told ann was beynon before marriage and i know she lived in hirwaun from age 13.should be so easy but i have frazzled xmas brain!!

The Bag

The Bag Report 29 Dec 2005 13:27

do you have the RG number for 1901 census please - i cant even find the one you have!

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Dec 2005 13:30

1901 (if this is the right family) RG13/5034 6 p.3 15 High Street, Hirwaun Rees Thomas abt 1874 Glam, Pontneathvaughan Head Aberdare Glamorgan Ann Thomas abt 1876 Lergen, Carmarthenshire, Wales Wife Aberdare Glamorgan L L Thomas abt 1892 Glam, Hirwaen Son Aberdare Glamorgan Son's age is given as 9 months, so he would be born around June 1900 as the census was taken 31 March 1901. I have had a quick look for Rees and Ann Beynon on 1891 but its a bit of a needle/haystack job. Might be better to try to find son's birth (though initials LL aren't helpful!) and get Ann's maiden name from that and then a marriage, which would give both spouses' fathers' names and occupations, making earlier census searches easier. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 29 Dec 2005 13:37

I cant find a single Ann beynon born in the right county, although in 1881 there is one born in Aberdare!

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 13:39

jess, RG13/5034. nell, thats them, but where are they before that? never heard of pontneathvaughan and just found login does exist, thought it was spelling error but it is in carms. hirwaun is in aberdare sometimes hirwain, hirwann. thanks loads!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Dec 2005 13:43

Jane I've never heard of Pontneathvaughan either - and not come across it in my Welsh research - husband's family are from Glamorgan and I have found ancestors in Aberdare. BUT I looked on Genuki's Glamorgan parishes list and found this Pontneddfechan (See Cadoxton-juxta-Neath) Now Nedd is how the Welsh write Neath, and in Welsh, the f in fechan would be pronounced v, so it would be said Pontneathvechan, which could be transcribed as Pontneathvaughan, what do you think? nell

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 13:46

this is why i have problem with ann beynon, definately says login on census , possible mistake on her behalf? on same street as them i find esther ann beynon born login (beynon married name though), . as for ll i think he must have died in infancy as my grandmother was the oldest (mary gwen born 1907). merry found that ll was possibly llewelyn lewis born 1900, but dont find death record so feel i'm going round in circles!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Dec 2005 13:47

According to Genuki, this place is also known as CADOXTON, LLAN CATWG but I still can't find Rees Thomas in 1891 born in any of these places! nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Dec 2005 13:48

B*****r! The IGI for baptisms in Cadoxton-juxta-Neath stops at 1872. {But it does have my husband's gt grandpa on it, so mustn't grumble!) nell

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Dec 2005 13:50

A possible for son View Record Thomas, Llewellyn Lewis 1900 September Births Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 13:52

nell, you genius! i was thinking maybe porth neath, but census recorder would have spelt as he thought it sounded, so i think you've nailed the place. just had chat with old old aunt and she says ann had half sister jennie perkins born c.1899 . i half wish she had'nt told me that now. here we go again!

Suzy

Suzy Report 29 Dec 2005 13:54

This would probably be the death, then: Thomas Llewellyn Lewis 4 Merthyr Tydfil.11a 443 Death 2 1905 Suzy

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Dec 2005 14:01

There are several places beginning L that might be the birthplace in Carmarthenshire, but none are called Lergan or Login and the likely ones on the IGI don't cover the right dates. Gnashing of teeth! nell

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 14:04

thanks suzy, see brain has turned to mush, missed that one completely. i was told they had son edward who died age 3, but i wonder if this is the child they meant as edward doesnt appear for me, but then again neither did death of llewelyn.

Elaine

Elaine Report 29 Dec 2005 14:05

Someone found the place Login yesterday .... pasted from previous thread .. If you look at Haverfordwest on a map and go along the A40 to the east for about 10 miles, and then go north about 4 miles, it's THERE!! Seen on Multimap....

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 14:07

elaine, that was for me from merry as i was asking if anyone knew where it was. there is a login road in llanboidy also.

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Dec 2005 14:11

Can't find a likely Jennie/Jenny Perkins on 1901 census. Also wondered if she would be Jennet, as this was popular Welsh girls name. Husband's Jennet ancestors often mistranscribed as Janet. I don't think this helps much! I've tried unsuccessfully to find a marriage between Rees & Ann. Another possibility is that Beynon wasn't her surname, or that she was married before. You have reminded me why my husband's Welsh lot are such a nightmare to find! nell

Jane

Jane Report 29 Dec 2005 14:18

nell, i did think possibly jennet, we called her jinnie when we were kids. i didnt know where she fit in my family as both my parents and all grands died 20 plus years ago, so to find out she was a real g.aunt is strange. my other welsh lot was a complete nightmare to find as they didnt seem to exist before 1871 until elaine helped yesterday!how unlucky am i to have morgans and thomas's ?