Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

my thread/message has disappeared !*** The Marriag

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 20:15

Has anyone had a thread deleted or go missing today?. I had a thread on here earlier - common surname/GRO query. It had one reply from Merry. I responded with the info at 15:36 this afternoon, the thread was there on this board at 6:00pm and now....gone. I had not put anything dodgy or rude in it, so where has it gone? Do I have to type it out again or will it return? I knew I should'nt of put a thread up about Halloween on the Gen board...the ghosts and ghouls are out to get me know! Justine x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 3 Oct 2005 20:18

How very odd. I know the thread you mean. It's not here at all. Wonder what happened to it....

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 20:37

I don't even remember it!! lol Do you want to ask again?? Merry x

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 20:58

Oh that's nice I'm that memorable lol ! I was asking about tracing a line in my family by the very common surname of BROWN. I asked if anyone knew if records office would search for a birth cert if you have the parents names (or who you believe to be the parents) and the age and district (roughly) Merry replied asking for the info that I already had, from the 1881 and 1891 census. So here goes, again.. (fingers crossed) Elizabeth Brown abt 1844 Epsom, Surrey, England Wife No 6 Crown St, Camberwell, London, England Elizabeth Brown abt 1875 Vauxhall, Surrey, England Daughter No 6 Crown St, Camberwell, London, England Thomas Brown abt 1879 Cambll, Surrey, England Son No 6 Crown St, Camberwell, London, England William Brown abt 1843 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Head No 6 Crown St, Camberwell, London, England William Brown abt 1873 Vauxhall, Surrey, England Son No 6 Crown St, Camberwell, London, England From 1891 Elizabeth abt 1845 Westminster, London, England Wife Battersea London Brown, Elizabeth abt 1875 Battersea, London, England Daughter Battersea London Brown, Robert abt 1886 Battersea, London, England Son Battersea London Brown, Thomas abt 1878 Battersea, London, England Son Battersea London Brown, William abt 1843 Basingstoke, Hampshire, England Head Battersea London Brown, William abt 1873 Battersea, London, England Son Battersea London 1901 the parents Elizabeth Brown abt 1844 Knightsbridge, London, England Wife Battersea London Elizabeth Brown abt 1875 Battersea, London, England Daughter Battersea London Elizabeth Brown abt 1897 Battersea, London, England Granddaughter Battersea London William Brown abt 1843 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Head Battersea London From the 1901 My william Clara Brown abt 1876 Russel Sq, London, England Wife Southwark Christchurch London Clara Brown abt 1897 St Saviours, London, England Daughter Southwark Christchurch London Rose Brown abt 1891 Christchurch, London, England Daughter Southwark Christchurch London William Brown abt 1873 Vauxhall, London, England Head Southwark Christchurch London On william's marriage cert to Clara his father was down as William. On the birth cert that I have for Thomas Brown , it names the parents as Elizabeth Ann Brown (was Malthouse) and Joseph William Brown. I have found their marriage which took place in 1872 the year before my William Brown was born. The name is so common and the birth places vary through the census' that I just don't know which certs to order as their are so many. And I am not 100% cert that I have the right parents. I am after any tips or advice on how to go about this lines research. Many thanks Justine x

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 21:07

Ah, yes....Sorry!!! Remember it now lol Am busy processing the info as we speak....back shortly! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 21:33

I need someone else to join in with this!!.......Please?? I am finding it hard to accept these are all the same people (1881->1891), but can't find a match either way if I assume them to be different families. If your William WAS born at Vauxhall (1873), I would have taken that to be Westminster district, but none of the possible birth reg's look very likely................... Still thinking........ Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 22:01

Hi Merry, I am here as well...but I am not familiar with the districts. I have been backwards and forwards trying to match the family on 1881 with a better match on the 1891 but no match. So tried searching using the details from the 1891 census to search the 1881 (am I making any sense?) but nothing there either. No match on 1901 for the family from 1891 either. I know that the birth places are varied, but I just have a feeling that this is them..I can't really explain. I know that I need 'paper proof' but what? His full name was WILLIAM RICHARD BROWN according to his marriage certificate. And there are no William Richard Browns registered with -+5 years of 1873. Do you think that I could be looking at a possible entry for William in 1873 as just MALE?

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:06

Have you found the birth reg for William's dau Rose? When did William and Clara get married? Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 22:12

Bare with me ...will just go and get the file x William Richard Brown married Clara Elizabeth Charles June 6th 1897 Marriage solemnized at the parish church in the parish of St Saviour Southwark in the county of Surrey. Witness' to the marriage William Brown Hannah Brown William's father - William Brown occupation Foreman Children of William born 1873 Vauxhall Clara Hannah Elizabeth Brown born 6th July 1897 (miracle - just 1 month after marriage took place) Parents named as William Richard Brown and Clara Elizabeth Brown formerly Charles Williams occupation - carman 4 Emerson Place Southwark Registered in the sub-district of St Saviour Southwark, County of London Rose Florence Brown born 11th May 1900 Parents names as William Richard Brown and Clara Elizabeth Brown formerly Charles Williams occupation - carman 19 Industrial Dwellings, Gambia Street Registered in the sub-district Christ Church, St Saviour Southwark London

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:13

Doh....It's taken me all this time to realise that baby Rose in 1901 was 10mths old, not 10 years!!! Grrrrr....flippin' Ancestry!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:16

I hate to say this, but birth registration wasn't compulsory until 1875.......:o(( Merry

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:19

Which one of William and Clara's children is your rellie? Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 22:25

Clara - she was my great grandmother - and my nan never knew that much about her family on either side. Clara born 1897 was disowned by her parents for having a child out of wedlock in 1920. So my nanny does'nt know much about them, which is a real shame.

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:27

Here's an interesting thing.......... I went back to 1871 and looked at William's born in Hampshire around 1843......... There is a William Brown born 1842 and living in Battersea with his parents and siblings.......... Where was William born?????????????? SHERFIELD, Hampshire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If this is actually Sherfield Upon Lodden in hants, that is only 4 miles from Basingstoke!!!! So, I think he kept saying Sherfield on the census and it was always taken as Sheffield!! LOL Mini-progress!! At least they suddenly all look a bit more like one family and your vibes were correct!!! (hopefully!) Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 22:32

God your good x

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:32

Oops, meant to post them..... 1871: Charlotte Brown abt 1811 Basing, Hampshire, England Wife Battersea London Louisa Brown abt 1846 Sherfield, Hampshire, England Daughter Battersea London Robert Brown abt 1849 Battersea, Surrey, England Son Battersea London Thomas Brown abt 1791 Sherfield, Hampshire, England Head Battersea London >>>>William Brown abt 1842 Sherfield, Hampshire, England Son Battersea London Beatrice Giles abt 1862 Battersea, Surrey, England Boarder Battersea London James Giles abt 1849 Bryanston, Dorset, England Boarder Battersea London Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 22:39

1871 census from Ancestry - Legwork supplied by Merry Might be just a coincidence but look at the names a Thomas and a Robert. Do you think I should send off for that marriage cert in 1872 for Joseph William Brown to Elizabeth Ann Malthouse, to see if the fathers name matches the head of house on this one or should I be looking for something else? Charlotte Brown abt 1811 Basing, Hampshire, England Wife Battersea London Louisa Brown abt 1846 Sherfield, Hampshire, England Daughter Battersea London Robert Brown abt 1849 Battersea, Surrey, England Son Battersea London Thomas Brown abt 1791 Sherfield, Hampshire, England Head Battersea London William Brown abt 1842 Sherfield, Hampshire, England Son Battersea London Beatrice Giles abt 1862 Battersea, Surrey, England Boarder Battersea London James Giles abt 1849 Bryanston, Dorset, England Boarder Battersea London

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:39

!!! Thanks! It was a fluke really! Needless to say, I can't find the same people in 1861, and I seem to have glossed over your William's 1873 birth cert..... Am still thinking! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 3 Oct 2005 22:45

Oooh I don't know, Justine. Maybe....but I suppose so many Brown's are going to have a dad named Thomas..... It would be good if mum Charlotte was a witness though..... Another thought - What was the address on the birth cert for Thomas?? As he was born not too long before the census, we should be trying to find his birth address to see who was living there.........just in case he is from a different Brown family.........We need some way to work out if the cert you have for Thomas IS THE RIGHT ONE, before progressing...... Am getting too tired for this now........ Will be back tomorrow. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 3 Oct 2005 23:00

Yes...I need you too be bright and alert for tomorrow (!) There were only 3 possible matches (that I could see) for Thomas born Camberwell 2 in 1879 and 1 in 1878. I paid the extra and asked them to check all three entries for parents names, William and Elizabeth. This is the only one out of the three that came very close. The details are - Thomas Brown, born 22nd January 1879 Parents Joseph William Brown and Elizabeth Ann Brown (formerly Malthouse) Williams occupation is down as Brush maker Informant down as Joseph Brown father 141 Coburg Road, Old Kent Road (same for place of birth) Registration district Camberwell Sub district of St George Camberwell county of surrey They appear to of married the year beofre my William (vauxhall) was born. Luckily they are listed with their full names and are the only two for that entry. Thank you ever so much for your help this evening, I would never of spotted that family from Hampshire. I have just been going round in circles with this one, so I put it on the back burner. Once again, Many thanks Justine ( who shall now go off to bed, happy at the thought of a breakthrough, even though she has a dental appointment first thing in the morning) x