Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Never expected family research to be easy.....but

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 21:40

See below in a min, will try to keep it short but I don't type very fast.

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 21:55

Wanting to keep a long story short......... Mother was brought up by her father and his parents.......was told her mother died when she was 3/4. O.k thinks I, find mothers parents marriage and birth certificates and trace back from there. Made quite easy by the fact that grandmothers name is not at all common.....great. Mother wanted to know how her mother died...........could find no death on the indexes. Did a wider search from when mother was born untill she was 8......still no death!! Made contact with a few distant relations born same area but their families moved away when they were young and they knew nothing of mothers mother. Then made contact with an older family member, didn't know grandmother but remembered family talk at the time and as I still wish to keepit short........grandmother went off with her married second cousin to live in another county. While trawling through the birth indexes I came across a birth for a boy, same first name as the cousin she went off with and mothers maiden name same as the childs surname(cousins born with same surname) O.K. could be a single mother but given the information I'd got and the county the child was born I thought it may just be worth the 7 pounds to find out. Birth certificate has arrived........ Now I have proof grandmother didn't died and mother has a brother.........possible index for a sister as well. I never expected anything like this!!!! But my biggest problem...........How do I tell all this to my mother??????

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 21:58

Do you think your mother has suspected this or would it have never occured to her? Janice

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 6 Sep 2005 22:05

I'd broach it like a joke... eg 'what would you do if you had a million brothers? lol' Gauge her reaction to that, then proceed with caution.

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 22:06

When I started doing this she said mother had died, no reason to question it as she was too young to even remember her. I can hardly believe it myself........thought the relation that thought it was her that went of with her second cousin might have got it wrong and maybe it was someone else but I have their childs birth certificate right here in front of me and she's his mother has her first husbands surname as her late name and her formerly name same as the childs name.........it's her!!!

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:08

Is your grandmother still alive?

Half

Half Report 6 Sep 2005 22:10

Hi Is your mothers mother still alive? as this would make a huge difference to how she could react. Take care Little

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 22:13

Tracy, my first reaction was to cry.........for over 60 years she thought her mother had died. What makes it worse is when she was 18 she got pregnant and her family would had nothing to do with her, wasn't easy for a single mother with nowhere to go back then. And all that time she had a mother, her father didn't want her but he didn't want her to know she had a mother!!!! I feel sick!!!!!

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 22:16

I've no idea if she's still alive..........that's the next thing on my list. If she is she'd be 86.

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:17

Fiona, Are you on Ancestry? If not, feel free to mail me for any lookups. Janice

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:23

Do you think the brother would know about your mum? If he does, he might be looking for her. As the surname is unusual have you tried typing it into Quick Search or Trying to Find? Janice

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 22:25

Thanks Janice, There is no death after 1883 for her but that doesn't mean to say she didn't died before that or after 2002, or who's to say she didn't have another husband and another name.

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 22:28

Searched the message boards on here and Ancestry, nothing. Have found 2 possibles for the brother on B4u, if he still lives in the same area that is. But does he know of my mother??

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:29

What about asking someone who has electoral roll discs to do a lookup for you? Or try b4usearch to see if she is alive today.

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:29

Oops. You got there first!

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:31

What about one of those ..........I'm doing my family tree and think we might be connected................sort of letters? You might need to spend a day at the library trawling all the indexes to work out what has been happening in the inbetween years.

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 22:33

Would have to be careful incase I got the wrong one.......at least there is only two though!

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:35

A very general letter giving very little away could be sent to both. They will know if you have the right person.

Fiona

Fiona Report 6 Sep 2005 22:36

The relation that gave me the info did say that 20 years later the man went back home for a family death and he was married to a different woman, he didn't know what happened though. Which is why I don't know if she had another hame or not.

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2005 22:38

Do you know the town? Would it be possible to track them through the electoral rolls?