Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hacked off! - updated

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2005 18:07

I am hacked off! I got an e-mail today asking where my 'How to be a perfect ancestor' thread had gone and it appears to have been removed without anyone telling me why. It was only a bit of fun. UPDATE had a reply from GR today saying my thread had been pulled because 'a member' complained that it wasn't a genuine tip. Not sure how a genuine 'tip' is defined, but I don't feel it should be up to 'a member' to decide. Personally I am not too chuffed with 'a member'. I have only once asked GR to remove a thread and that was because it was one person who was being extremely abusive - to the point of libel - to another person (not me). If people respond to a thread then it is relevant. If it isn't relevant it drops off the board. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 9 Jun 2005 18:21

...but is only what they said they would do. they say they will, as the person that keeps phantom nudging the 'rules thread' would no doubt point out jess

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 9 Jun 2005 18:22

Oh, I think that's a bit harsh, Nell. What have worms ever done to you? LOL

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2005 18:22

Well I'm still miffed. If people find threads annoying or whatever they can ignore them. If they can't find the info they want on this site - presumably GR put it there so they can - then I think GR should worry about that a bit more. I am getting rather cheesed off with this. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 9 Jun 2005 18:26

Only two days ago, they were throwing people off the site for doing this .granted it got out of hand , but having hadsuch a fuss made, they have surely got to carry it through - or re-instate those they sent packing. jess

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2005 18:29

So as this is not a genuine tip, they will remove this? Well, it would be nice if they'd told me they were going to, I could have cut and pasted it for those who enjoyed it and put it on the Gen.Topics Board. And if they want to remove me, I shall be only too happy to put my renewal money towards a website that is a bit less picky and more concerned with genuinely helping people. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 9 Jun 2005 18:32

Sad though it is- like the pub thread it is harmless...but.... Jess x - who could see the pub thing from both sides- and has noticed others going too today

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Jun 2005 18:40

I can't claim to have read this particular thread, but if I know anything about your postings, Nell, it will have been extremely funny. This will have made it memorable. And when a newbie (or even experienced researcher) discovers their own 'perfect ancestor' it'll make them think. So it will have been a tip after all.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2005 18:45

Brenda Thanks for your kind comments, but since it has been removed its usefulness or otherwise has been lost forever! At the top of the screen on which I am typing it actually says 'Please add genealogy questions to this board only' so tips aren't allowed either, only questions!!! nell

N

N Report 9 Jun 2005 19:02

Hi Helen, sorry to here about your thread, most of them have gone now. :-)

Joy

Joy Report 9 Jun 2005 19:16

Nell, I do not understand this. They asked Pink to remove hers. They removed yours. ? Sorry about the certs. :-) Joy

Joy

Joy Report 9 Jun 2005 19:19

there is a thread on the general board: ''Original Added by Silver? Lunar on 06/06/2005 20:06:55 LEAVING PARTY! Please ignore if you do not wish to contribute'' - maybe tips board ''refugees' could meet up there? :-) Joy

Jane

Jane Report 9 Jun 2005 20:42

Nell, Put the worms down a minute ... my message to Irene has just been removed from her thread, how picky is that!? J

The Bag

The Bag Report 9 Jun 2005 21:55

Tom, How can you say that you aren't warned that something it going to be deleted? There is a flipping great notice that is being bumped every 5 mins by some nudger-that-wont-confess telling you so! jess

Pat

Pat Report 9 Jun 2005 22:13

Hi Nell its getting ridiculous on GR. everytime something happens here I keep thinking it can't get any worse but it does. There are people being removed and others who are leaving soon this will be a ghost town with nothing of interest to read and no fun while you are here on tips anyway. What a rotten day you've had tomorrow will be better Nell. Jess LOL. Pat x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2005 22:31

Nell I suspect there are two problems here. One. Your thread was humorous. Humour is not allowed on this Board. You profaned the Sacred Cow of Genealogy - we all know there is nothing funny about genealogy, it is deadly serious. Two. Your name has appeared on some list or other, as being a contributor to another humorous thread. And you are being watched. Marjorie

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Jun 2005 22:33

Bit like Big Brother really, isn't it?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2005 22:56

Well, I cannot think of any other reason, can anyone else? Nell's thread WAS about genealogy, making some very valid points. Who ON EARTH did it offend? That is, offend enough for them to report it to GR? And they told ME to get a life!?!? Marjorie

Heather

Heather Report 9 Jun 2005 23:05

Hi all Good to see you Marjorie, I've missed your name the last few days.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2005 23:30

Thanks, everybody for your support. I am beginning to feel as petty-minded as whoever removed my thread or complained about humour on the boards. nell