Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DID YOU KNOW - ANCESTRY FACILITY?

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 11 May 2005 10:39

I havent been on the board or ancestry for weeks now because of personal probs which some of you know about. BUT today, I was asked to look someone up in the next village to where I live in the 1861 (I didnt realise that was on). Accidently I didnt put in any name or details, just the county and the village - the whole village's population came up in alphabetical order. I guess most of you know this but I didnt - after over a year of using ancestry! It was brilliant, you can see all the connections of families through using this system.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 11 May 2005 10:42

No I didn't know that i will go and have a look thanks Jeanette

MaryPoppins

MaryPoppins Report 11 May 2005 11:04

Thanks TC, I didn't know this happened maybe now I can find my rellies the Clays which up till now don't appear anywhere!!!!!!! Magsxx

Heather

Heather Report 11 May 2005 11:28

Yes, I was really pleased with this accidental discovery as I found the in-laws of my GGFx3 - I didnt realise they lived in the same village.

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 11 May 2005 11:49

I had no idea this facility existed. Many thanks for the tip. Christine

Tmwg

Tmwg Report 11 May 2005 11:52

can you give me web page for this please thanks

Trudy

Trudy Report 11 May 2005 11:58

Thanks TC Didn't know that Trudy

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 May 2005 12:23

Thanks for passing that on - I had no idea that the facility existed! Hope things are getting better for you, have been thinking of you xx Love Mandy :)

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 11 May 2005 12:48

that sounds wonderful I didnt know that either thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 May 2005 13:15

You can do this on all the census's in Ancestry plus also LDS 1881 census - nothing new been doing it for years, just don't try the London or larger towns only on the small villages. Lin

Carol

Carol Report 11 May 2005 13:21

Didn't know this. Thanks. Carol

Sunny Rosy

Sunny Rosy Report 11 May 2005 13:22

Which web page please, itching to have a go please, where and how ?Thanks Ros

Daisy

Daisy Report 11 May 2005 13:38

I didn't know this either. I will be checking out my whole family tonight, I can't wait to get home from work

Steve

Steve Report 11 May 2005 13:48

only problem with this is the amount of people in each city/town/village area. my ancestors come from plymouth, which is a far too large city to explore in this way. Interesting though. Steve

Dea

Dea Report 11 May 2005 13:50

Nice to see you back on another thread TC. Useful tip - a bit long-winded for me as mine are in a town - I have been on there doing it for the past 2 hours and I'm only up to surname - 'C'. However, I have found one possible link so I'l go back and do some more when I have the time. Dea xx

Rachel

Rachel Report 11 May 2005 13:51

The neighbour search for small towns and villages but larger areas just tend to show the same street if you ask the veiw the meighbours. www*ancestry*co*uk

Liz~~

Liz~~ Report 11 May 2005 13:56

just been through a whole vilage and found a few relatives,it' great. Thanks LIZ.

Tmwg

Tmwg Report 11 May 2005 14:02

can someone tell me step by step how I use the search for neighbours bit!! thanks

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 11 May 2005 14:16

:-( Didn't work for me either. Can someone explain how please Thanks

Liz~~

Liz~~ Report 11 May 2005 14:52

Hi Penny and Tracey. Go on to ancestry. cencus whichever year you want, where it says birthplace, put in your county and parish or place, Hope it works for you. LIZ