Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PLEASE HELP ME FIND CYPRUS BEFORE I LOSE ME MARBLE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Crimson

Crimson Report 9 Apr 2005 21:41

I am looking for my grandfathers nephew, his name was Cyprus Hinks and according to the 1881 and 1891 census he was born in kensington/paddington in 1878, but when I found the family in 1901 he is no longer around. I have looked on ancestry for a death or a marriage.. nothing... and can not fins him at all on the 1901, it is like he had vanished of the face of the earth...but surely with a name like Cyprus you cant just vanish??! I am going off my rocker now lol Can anyone please help?? any ideas gratefully received Thanx Ann

Zoe

Zoe Report 9 Apr 2005 21:52

I've had a quick look and I cant see him. Being aged 22 there is a good chance he would have been off fighting in teh Boer War Zoe

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 9 Apr 2005 22:23

Ann, are all the rest of the family missing too?Helen

The Bag

The Bag Report 9 Apr 2005 23:10

Did he have a brother called reginald? ~jess~ >> Just wondering, birthplace about right, surname right, year right, wonder if he got fed up with name Cyprus and called himself Reg.. 1901 Zillah Cromwell 29 Feltham, Middlesex, England Servant Hampton Middlesex Ada Hammond 25 Lindfield, Sussex, England Servant Hampton Middlesex Hinks under 1 month Hampton Hill, Middlesex, England Son Hampton Middlesex Amelia Hinks 23 Kensington Wife Hampton Middlesex John Fredrick Hinks 59 Leeds, Yorkshire, England Mother Hampton Middlesex Reginald Hinks 29 Clapham, London, England Head Hampton Middlesex Helen Walker 48 Warwickshire, England Visitor Hampton Middlesex Address is 'Roedean' Uxbridge Rd - if that helps his occupation is private secretary

Sue

Sue Report 10 Apr 2005 08:35

Ann I have found his mother, Sarah Hinks, but her son is called William T Hinks in 1901. He is shown as born in Kensington in about 1877. Do you think this is him? He is shown as a Print Compositer and the address is 55 Faraday Road, Kensington, London. Just looked on 1891 and seen William as well as Cyprus. Oh well - I tried! Where was William in 1881 though? He's not living with Sarah and Cyprus. Just found William, living in Somerset with his Uncle and Aunt! A real mystery, you've got me puzzled now too! Good Luck Sue xx

Crimson

Crimson Report 10 Apr 2005 08:59

hi Zoe, you could be right, i had never really thoght about the Boer war. will have to find a way to look into it thanx

Crimson

Crimson Report 10 Apr 2005 09:01

Jess thanx for looking for me...I have thought that maybe he changed his name...but I just dont know....very strange. Ann

Crimson

Crimson Report 10 Apr 2005 09:09

Sue Thanks for looking for me.. That is the correct family that you found. yes william and cyprus seemed to have a habit of flitting about. you say that you found william living in Somerset, I know that Sarah was widowed when the sons were only 1 and 3 maybe she had trouble coping? another thing to add to the mystery though...on the somerset census, where it states william as the nephew, the lady, hannah mitchell, was actually his granmother who had remarried . so why they put him down as nephew and not grandson I dont know! its a bit of a puzzle and a bit of a headache lol Thanx Ann

Thelma

Thelma Report 10 Apr 2005 12:16

This looks like the mother and brother Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Francis Burton 16 Kensington, London, England Nephew Kensington London George Hinks 19 Wincanton;Bath Nephew Kensington London Sarah Hinks 50 Langport, Somerset, England Head Kensington London William T Hinks 24 Kensington, London, England Son Kensington London

Crimson

Crimson Report 10 Apr 2005 23:19

Hi Honey rum and Jim you are both correct and have found the right family, than you for looking, I have been looking just now and still cant find Cyprus in 1901 or after, have tried different combination of names and nothing. The dob is right Honey. I suppose that there is not much i can do now..it will probably have to stay as one of those mysteries Thanx Ann

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Sep 2016 11:04

Natal archives have his death notice:-

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS75-7Q3R?i=1289&cat=229462

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Sep 2016 11:44

Brian - Crimson lasted posted on this thread in 2005, 11 years ago and probably isn't expecting a reply now.

As long as she still uses the same email address, you could send her a message by clicking on her name. Non-subscribing members can reply but not instigate messages.

EDIT - excellent find, complete with details of the wife and children, if she is still interested.

malyon

malyon Report 25 Sep 2016 11:46

as this thread is 11yrs old crimson might not see your posting click on crimson's name and send a message if still a member will see it