Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spy- ware removal instructions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 16 Dec 2004 13:42

ADAWARE Spy-ware Removal 1. Go to http://www.majorgeeks(.)com/download.php?det=506 - Remember to remove the ( ) from the address. 2. Download the free version of Adware….scroll to bottom of page to DOWNLOAD HERE and choose PLANET MIRROR. 3. Install onto your computer. 4. After installation, an icon will appear on your desktop. Click it to open. 5. Click on CHECK FOR UPDATES NOW. Follow the NEXT prompts. (This updates any definitions to the program since the download was posted on the internet. Do this right before scanning your computer each time you use it to be sure the software is always up to date.) 6. After definitions are updated click on SCAN NOW. 7. Click NOW to start the scan. 8. When the computer is done scanning it will display all the spyware it’s found. Click on NEXT (or if you want to view what it found you can click on SHOW LOGFILE first. After viewing logfile click on close and it will return you to where you can click on NEXT.) 9. You’ll now be looking at SCANNING RESULTS and here, too, you will see what spyware has been found. Using your mouse, click the small empty box, in the first column, in front of each item found, so that a check mark appears in front of it. (For some reason sometimes the check marks are there automatically, sometimes you have to put them there manually.) 10. After everything is checked off click on QUARANTINE. 11. A small box appears and asks you to name the file….I use the day’s date. Then hit OK (or whatever the prompt is.) 12. Click on NEXT and you’ll be advised or asked if it’s OK to remove….click OK and the spyware found is “quarantined.” The reason for quarantining over deleting is because if by some freak of nature, something on your computer needs is removed by accident by the program, you can go back and “restore” what was removed. In a day or two, you can open the adaware program if you want and completely delete the quarantined items if all is well….and it should be. This is just a safe guard for you…..In all the computers I’ve worked on I’ve never had a problem with this program. I also use it on all 5 of my own computers. To delete quarantined items: 1. Click open the Adaware icon on your desktop. 2. Click on OPEN QUARANTINE LIST 3. All quarantined items will show. Simply right click on it and choose the option DELETE ARCHIVE. You will note here, this is where you would also choose RESTORE if you needed to. Copied and pasted from Judy..........