Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

we dont all have money! Sioux and Gary

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 11 Nov 2004 14:21

Hello everyone iv just tried everthing now to get on ancestry plus but had no luck.....so i am giving in gracefully! but to those of you who can get it then hold on as long as you can to it....and good luck with your search Christine

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Nov 2004 14:52

Christine, If you need any look - ups just give me a call. The current log - on seems to work for me - but dont know how long for! Elaine x.

Heike

Heike Report 11 Nov 2004 14:55

It doesn't work for me either. I've tried all the links given and I always only get access to the free databases. With other databases I just get the message that I couldn't be authenticated. Does anyone know why it works with some and not with others? Maybe those that try for the first time don't get in anymore? I would even get a subscription if it wasn't so outrageously expensive, especially as I have the feeling I won't find enough information there to warrant the expense. Somehow my ancestor don't seem to be in any database, be it the LDS records or any other. It's a bit frustrating. Regards, Heike

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Nov 2004 15:41

Chrissie, You wont believe this , but the Ancestry link has gone ! Hopefully someone should come up with a new one soon E x.

Gem in Wakefield

Gem in Wakefield Report 11 Nov 2004 15:45

Hi Try this link http://infotrac.galegroup.*com/itweb/perr67691 It should go straight to the Welcome Page, click on proceed and it should let you straight in. Gem

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 11 Nov 2004 20:06

Thanks Gemma, This got me straight in Sue xx

Chris

Chris Report 11 Nov 2004 23:27

Yes Elaine i do believe it!!!!!!! iv tried the one that Gemma suggested but no luck with that either, keeps asking for library ID and registration... thank you all for trying to help Christine

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 11 Nov 2004 23:31

Just a suggestion ...... but if you've enjoyed it so much and find it useful .... why don't you subscribe to it like the rest of us !!!! Sioux

Heike

Heike Report 12 Nov 2004 08:54

Why don't we subscribe to it? Well, I assume because it is terribly, terribly expensive. I don't mind paying a fee for using records, that's only fair, but that fee is outrageously high and some people might not be able to afford it. Others, like me, might be able to afford it, but consider it an unjustly high price. That's why many don't subscribe to it.

Chris

Chris Report 12 Nov 2004 11:26

Thank you for that Heike i was just about to say exactly that..........not all of us are on high wages and to be honest i dont think its all that good for the price you have to pay, and if you take into account all the oter costs ie certificates, 1837 online etc it all mounts up, i wish i had the money then maybe i would pay a geneologist to do the searches for me!!!!!!!!!!! Christine

Chris

Chris Report 12 Nov 2004 13:03

nudge

Helen

Helen Report 12 Nov 2004 13:26

I didn't think it was that expensive, I took out a 12 month subscription to the UK collections for $69 which is less than £40. I balanced that against the cost of me getting to records offices to do the research (£40 would cover 2 train trips into London or the petrol for one trip to the area where half of my rellies are from) also the time and convenience of being able to do an hour or so in my free time on-line rather than trying to find a day to go into London or a few days to go back to my home county. £40 well spent (and when my renewal comes up I will probably request it as a birthday present from however many friends want to contribute) cheers H

Debbie

Debbie Report 12 Nov 2004 13:45

I am sorry but you say it is cheap, but perhaps you have the money to spend on things like that, I have to wait and every now and again I can order certificates or go on 1837. How some people can say such stupid things I just dont know. Not everyone has the money.

Debbie

Debbie Report 12 Nov 2004 13:50

Perhaps after spending all that money, he wont be able to afford the £7.50. Now that would be funny.

Michelle

Michelle Report 12 Nov 2004 13:55

And he was rude on Deborah's message of thanks on the records board too... Re: freeloading - £40 is cheap for some, to others it is a week's pension money, or all they have left after paying bills etc to feed the kids with. In other words it's only cheap if you've got it! And as I said on Deborah's thread - a lot of people may only have one or two ancestors on Ancestory, if they are mainly European or like me have elusive Irish and Indian born ancestors! So not really worth paying 40 quid for if a kind person on here can do the one or two look ups for you.

Lynne

Lynne Report 12 Nov 2004 14:01

Hi all I just paid £6 for 20 credits on Ancestry. I saved up all the people I need to look up and I am going to spend this week looking them all up. I think its a bargain that I can look at 20 census pages for £6. Then I may never need to use Ancestry again (yeah, right, for another 12 months anyway!) Lynne

Pat

Pat Report 12 Nov 2004 14:11

Well we had this discussion before Mr Betts, havent we you do have a habit of being very offensive do you enjoy it? I think its very offensive to call people "Freeloaders" especially when you do not know the people you are calling such names. I subscribe to Ancestry and think its good value but thats because I have found tons of info on my people, and I was lucky enough to get the sub as a present. I don't object when people on these boards ask for free access and others give info on how to let more people access the records for free. I say good luck to them. I don't think people should be excluded because they have not got the readies to pay for all you have to pay for, I have to budget like others but I don't believe in blaming others for my financial restricitions. I think you may have some problems and feel you would be better keeping your nasty twisted comments to yourself, you have a right to your opinion as we all have but I would prefer if you kept them to yourself rather than upsetting people here with them. Pat

Debbie

Debbie Report 12 Nov 2004 14:15

And he called us freeloaders.

Jonathan B

Jonathan B Report 12 Nov 2004 14:15

A sense of perspective here. It must be remembered that Ancestry is a profit-making enterprise. Contrast to FreeBMD and the fledgling FreeCEN and FreeREG who are transcribed by volunteers. I am a transcriber for FreeCEN. I felt that I’d received so much free info from other people it’s time I put something back. There are many of us but we need a lot more volunteers. We are also making a much better job of transcribing the records than Ancestry as we are local people who are transcribing EVERYTHING on the form. All transcriptions are checked by other people with local area knowledge. With more of us we could make the 1841-1901 censuses available free to all sooner. Jonathan

Chris

Chris Report 12 Nov 2004 14:18

Thank you everyone for the support!!!!!!! I only wish i could afford Ancestry then i could possibly help others doing look ups, as many people have helped me....Elaine,Rosemary and Debbie to name but a few, but as you say saving up for a couple of certificates is hard for some of us. Would like to thank everyone who offers to do look ups...were would we poor people be without you!!!!!!!! Christine