Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saving/Sending census images

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Oct 2004 09:20

(Background: last night a Message Board member said he/she could not send someone an image because they thought they had to use a printer and a scanner to get a sendable image. Also, in the past, someone tried to save an image for me - when they tried, it saved all 200+ pages of a census "piece"!) I save all of my census pages this way - SmithJ61, SmithW71 etc so that I can refer to them whenever I want without having to search through the census for them. Before I start looking at census images, I set my screen resolution to the maximum my monitor will allow. It is a matter of choice whether or not you do this, but better image quality is the result. These are the steps in doing that: a) right-click on Desktop (you will have to "minimise" all open Windows to do this) - select Properties b) select Settings c) move "Screen Area" slider to the full right d) click "Apply" At this point Windows will ask you if you really want to do this - click Yes or OK. When you find the image: 1)adjust size of image to fit your screen 2) press "Print Screen" (key next to F12) 3) Go to MSPaint or whatever graphics/photo program you have; at this point, if you know how, you can trim off the surrounding "Windows junk" from your image. 4) File-new 5) Edit-paste - this should now give you the image of your screen that you saved 6)Save as - choose jpg from drop down menu -give it a name. (a jpg fill is many times smaller than a bmp file) This should save the jpg file to your chosen location. You can attach this file to an e-mail.