Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

VRI Uk 2nd Ed. How reliable is it?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 8 Apr 2004 18:09

I have gone back to a birth in 1702 for a Roger Norton in Hindon Wiltshire on the VRI but when I went to see the film of the Parish Register he was not on there. However I do suspect that he is on the faded page (typical) as the dates jump from 1700 to late 1702 on the readable pages. How reliable is this index? I have used it to get this far back along with the IGI and checking the Parish Registers to make sure that the index is correct. If I can't read it then how did they to put it in the VRI, are there likely to be other transcipts etc of the parish registers. Also it says on the VRI that his father and mothers names are Samuell and Mary (nee Hughs according to Boyds marriage index, and Glostershire FHS Marriage License Index). I can only find one marriage between these 2 names that fit the dates and thats in Bristol which looks to be a good hours drive today so a couple of days walk back then and he's from Ireland and she is from Bristol so I think it must of been pretty drastic to move to Hindon, Wilts. Also there are 5 burials for a Samuell Norton in Hindon between 1700 to 1735 (OK 4 of these could be sons that didn't survive but still confusing). Any opinions and ideas would be welcome.