Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

unknown parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 27 Oct 2003 17:17

I have found the person who I think is my great, great grandad on the 1881 census. His name was Thomas Turton and he was living in Castle Gresley (Derbyshire) with his grandmother, Hannah Swain. I also found him on the 1851 Derbyshire census living with Hannah and her family but he is only entered as an orphan (aged 3yrs) and not a family member. I've assumed that Thomas' mother was one of Hannahs' daughters but I cannot find a marriage of either of them to anyone with the surname Turton. Nor can I find the death of anyone who could possbly (age wise) be his parents. Am I assuming wrong? Any ideas?

Carol

Carol Report 27 Oct 2003 17:43

These may be the parents deaths. Deaths Mar 1850 TURTON Martha Leigh 21 409 TURTON William Leigh 21 408 Could be husband and wife who died together as the numbers are consecutive.

Carol

Carol Report 27 Oct 2003 17:52

Here is a possible marriage, but not all spouses are transcribed yet, so couldnt find a Martha Marriages Jun 1848 Turton William W Derby 20 765

Kerry

Kerry Report 27 Oct 2003 18:19

Thanks for your help Carol. As I know nothing about the family other than what I've found on the various census', it's possible that William and Martha are Thomas' parents. I had been looking for and Elizabeth or Maud (Hannah Swains daughters as named on the 1841 census). Maud may have been Martha, (name changed or transcribed wrong?) as the age would have matched. At least I have some names to work on now. Thanks again.

Sarah

Sarah Report 6 May 2013 16:03

I'm related to the same family and have some information about them. My Great Grandma was a Turton. Thomas' father and mother were not married in this county.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 6 May 2013 16:38

Hi Sarah and welcome to the boards.

This thread is very old and the chances of Kerry seeing your post is very slim though not impossible.

To improve your chances of getting a response, click on her name and send her a private message. GR will then send her a message to the last email address they have saying she has a message. Also you will be able to track whether or not she has read your message by going to sent messages to see if the envelope is open.

Good luck with your research but remember if you need any help just start a new thread and there will be someone who will be able to help. :-D