Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Genealogy Index

Page 4 + 1 of 5

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 18 Oct 2005 09:40

Hi Carla. It's 1:30 am here, so I'm making this quick. I quickly scanned the Ontario site for marriages but didn't see anything. I will check the cd when I can. I was nosey and wanted to check the Toronto Directories -- a 'Northcote, F blksmith' is listed and if I read it correctly, his shop was on 40 Tecumseth. If that was his correct address, his shop was 8 blocks from my ancestor's shop! You can find his reference on http://historicity.tpl.toronto.on.ca/ Click on the red Enter button and be sure to click on the 'Toronto City Directories' before running a search. There were quite a few listings for Northcote, but I chose to look at Toronto Directory for 1881, record 10 of 11. If this is your Northcote, I'm sure he is listed in other directories. I believe this would be his home address. I will look some more after tomorrow night. Good night for now, Lisa.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Oct 2005 20:31

Hi Carla. Looked on my cd for Susan Ball's marriage and there wasn't ANY notation for Susan Ball. However, there was a marriage notation for Mathew Smith in Port Huron, Michigan. I believe Port Huron is on the Ontario/Michigan border. Could this be your Mathew? (There weren't any applicable notations for Matthew Smith.) Mathew Smith, married in Port Huron in 1894. Province of record source: Ontario. Comments: Oil refiner. Source: D W Carpenter, St Clair County Marriages: People from Lambton County and elsewhere in Ontario who were married in St Clair County, Michigan 1839-1898, Past to Present, Corunna, ON. Volume/Page(s): 75 On the InGeneas site (must pay to order records) is an immigration record for Susan Amelia Ball, immigrated in 1878. http://www*ingeneas*com/ingeneas/index.html (replace * with .) In case you don't have this information, I've found the Smith cemetery, http://www*islandnet*com/ocfa/homepage.html : SMITH, Susan Ann (Ball), Hillsdale, Petrolia, Lambton, Enniskillen, LB-939-2 SMITH, Matthew (h/o Susan Ann Ball), Hillsdale, Petrolia Lambton, Enniskillen, LB-939-2 SMITH, Beverly C. (s/o Matthew & Susan), Hillsdale, Petrolia, Lambton, Enniskillen, LB-939-2 I think I found all of the Matthew/Susan references, but you might double-check. I didn't find anything for Northcote/Ball. I did notice (1901 census) that Frederick was an 'oil receiver' -- and the above Mathew Smith was an oil refiner. Please let me know if I may help in any other way.