Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look up for 1871 Census - Staffordshire??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 10 Aug 2003 22:18

Finally broke through a brick wall and found my line for John Starkey. His Father was William Starkey (g grandfather)- born July 3, 1853 (m. Sarah Jane Walton) His birth certificate shows his father (gg grandfather) was also William Starkey and his mother was Emma Brown. I did a search on IGI files and using batch number found that my gr. grandfather had 3 siblings as of 1858 - Louisa, Caroline and John Starkey - christened between 1856 to 1858. Now a cousin of mine said she did a search about 3 years ago and found a Samuel Starkey that appears to be related BUT she did not keep any records of her sources!! The information she gave me is - Samuel Starkey - parents William Starkey and Emma Brown (William was a miner - which fits) He was born August 28, 1861 in Shelfield Walsall. Samuel was a saddler by trade and died November 19, 1925 in Newcastle on Tyne. He married Mary Ann Swan in Rushall, Walsall on Jan 12, 1881. they had a daughter Sarah. So the information as it stands appears that Samuel is a brother of William (g grandfather) but I have no proof. I have found Samuel in GRO records for Sept quarter. Found him in 1881 Census and also a marriage date. I cannot find him in 1901 Census but appears he was still living in 1901. As he was not yet born in time for 1861 Census, he shd be recorded in 1871 Census. If anyone has access to 1871 Census could they look up and see if there is a Samuel Starkey listed with parents of William and Emma. Also if possible could you list all children - in case there are others floating around I am not aware of. I have no idea how she found out exact date of birth and parents names without a birth certificate (unless she looked at an 1871 Census) Also have no idea how she found out exact date of death but any information anyone can supply me or any ideas where else to look would be greatly appreciated. Penny