Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exporting Only Dead Relatives from PAF5

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Berksbeagle

Berksbeagle Report 15 Jul 2003 12:54

Have just been talking (via email) to Sally-Anne Ramshaw about the above. This is what I said in my first email:- I have PAF5.2 and when exporting in GEDCOM there is an option to hide the details of all living relatives. It replaces their names with LIVING and exports no other details. However, beware, if you have any entries with no date of death or burial it assumes they are still living and exports them with name LIVING//. This can be somewhat annoying as most of these will be people who were born more than 100 years ago and logically they should treated as though they were dead. Sally-Anne replied:- How do you do that? ...... What would I do with my really old rellys in 1800's without a date of death? Put a fictious one 100 years after their birth? What do you do? If you write 'deceased' in the field - would that work? Her last suggestion to write 'deceased' (not the quotes) in the date of death field does the job and exports that person. Sally also asked: How do you do that? Sorry for sounding stupid, but I cant see the option. Sally, On the right hand side of the export form are a series of tick boxes under the heading Include, one of them is titled 'Full Information on Living'. However, as you will only need to export the basic details to GC, I suggest you untick ALL the boxes, before selecting the people you want to export. The following is extracted from the Import your GEDCOM File FAQ on GC:- 2). Please note that at present we do not accept files in utf-8 or unicode format. If your software allows you to choose a character set for your export select 'Ansel'. For example, using PAF 5 select the option 'Othergedcom 5.5' and char set 'Ansel'. The vast majority of software packages will create the file in the correct format by default. Hope this helps. Regards Terry Barlow Milton Keynes