Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Helen Mottram

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jan 2003 01:25

OK, here is a message for all those who are having the irritating problem of believing that their father has mysteriously switched to their partner and they are now a child. I believe this happens when you click on your mother to edit her information am i right yes? Well the reason this APPEARS to happen is you are NO LONGER viewing the tree from YOUR perspective, but from the perspective of your mother. Hence your father is actually showing up as your mother's partner (correct) and you are showing up as your mother's child (also correct). This is to enable editing of the family in relation to your mother (in this example) - direct relations (e.g. mother/father/child) are far simpler to add to any tree than more distant onces such as second cousins! I guess that is why they have done it this way here. Once you get your head around the idea that you are viewing the tree (and all persons on it) in relation to the person who's name is in the middle, it becomes a lot simpler to use. I hope this has been helpful.