Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuart Morgan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2002 22:11

Paula - if you mail the person in question they can grant you access to their tree. The reason it works this way around is to protect privacy and it also encourages people to talk to each other (rather than just taking the information and running). (EDIT - I should point out that this is just my interpretation of why the site is designed as it is, I don't work here so I don't speak from authority) Stewart - The LDS information from their Familysearch website should be used carfeully. The IGI (International Genealogical Index), which comprises some church registers generally upto 1837 does contain many, many transcription errors. The LDS Ancestral File is far worse, a great deal of the information to be found there is dubious, fictional would be a better description. Always double check anything you find against the original records, never rely on other peoples work.