Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WRONG BIRTH CERT - UPDATE

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 10:14

ANYONE HELP PLS SEE BELOW

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 10:15

I have been trying to get a birth certicate of my Nan named EDITH COLLINS. BORN 15 SEPT 1913 I recieved the wrong one a few months ago which shows her as born in WEST BROMWICH but wrong birth date and mother maiden name as WHITE. So i left it until last week i ordered the 2nd one showing her as born in SOUTH SHIELDS but again wrong birth date and mother maiden name as RIDDLE. There is only 2 EDITH COLLINS in those quarters without middle name as she dont have any middle name. I dont know what to do next! Any suggestions be great thanks Clare

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2007 10:18

If you haven't got the cert, how can you be sure of her D O B? You would do better to obtain her marriage cert, and find out her age at the time, plus her father's details............. Reg

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 10:21

Hi to reggie My nan died in jan 2006 she was very close to me... my only regret is not asking her questions before she died..... deffo 15 sept 1913 I have got her marriage cert she was married in 1935. Her father isnt on the marriage cert it was her stepfather which making things confusing! So DOB is correct clare

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 21 Aug 2007 10:22

What about this one in the following quarter. Just because she was born in Sept doesn't mean she was registered in that quarter. Name: Edith Collins Year of Registration: 1913 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec Mother's Maiden Name: Mellor District: Bury County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire Volume: 8c Page: 1026 Any good? Deb:)

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 10:26

Hi to Deb That sounds better as im from birmingham... manchester not far from birmingham. Is it the only Edith in that quarter? Just hope its the right one. Can i send the wrong cert back as i stated dob 15 sept 1913 but on the cert different date can i take it back or?? Thanks for looking Clare

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 21 Aug 2007 10:30

Hi Clare, That's the only ref for that quarter so it may be your nan. I don't know about refunds/exchanges for certs. Can you ring them and see what they say? They may be helpful. Deb:)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2007 10:30

I'm afraid the GRO don't work on a sale or return basis. If you didn't specify checking points, you have to keep what you ordered. There is a site for exchanging unwanted certs.........bmdshare Reg

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 10:31

Ok thanks Deb I think i will ring them up and see what they say. Many thanks Clare

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2007 10:40

Didn't your grandmother ever mention where she was born? Or where she was brought up? Did she have any sort of regional accent? Reg

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 10:41

Hi no i dont know her maiden name... this is what im trying to find out..... but as the other member found it could have been a MELLOR and if it is then great i can progress further back. Clare

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 10:44

I think i may have found the marriage of Ediths parents trying not to get my hopes up!! Marriages Dec 1908 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- COLLINS Henry Bury 8c 803 MELLOR Beatrice Bury 8c 803 No she never mentioned where she was born. And as i am Deaf i cant hear the voice of where she came from. But i believe i think when edith mom split from collins she then moved down to birmingham with Thomas Dormer who is edith stepfather. My dad isnt no help either! Clare

Steph

Steph Report 21 Aug 2007 11:18

Hi, You say the DOB is correct because of the wedding certificate. My mother in law was born 1/07/1925 and yet when she married on 9/08/1947 she put she was 21 on the marriage certificate, the same age as her husband, when on fact she was 22. Have you thought of looking in 1912? There is birth in Dec Qtr 1912 for Edith Collins born in Grimsby. Steph

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 11:33

Hi I am sorry but the DOB is correct. she was 92 in september 2005 she died the following Janurary 2006 she would of been 93 in that year.. so it works out to 1913 deffo. Clare

Steph

Steph Report 21 Aug 2007 11:47

Have you tried contacting other people who have an Edith Collins born 1913 in their tree?

Irene

Irene Report 21 Aug 2007 12:16

Hi there what are the names on the marriage certicicate and the witnesses - they may help with a lead to the family name for you. Where did they marry that may give you a lead on the area they lived. Good luck Irene

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2007 12:36

If you gave the full date of birth as a reference checking point and they sent the wrong one then you should be able to get your money back. HOWEVER, if you filled in the date of birth with the other details (like name and surname) on the first page of the form, then you will not get a refund. When filling in the application form do not put anything more than neccessary on the form itself - just name, year, qtr. district, volume number and page number. If you want them to check a particular detail (like father's name or mother's maiden name or date of birth), put these in separately in the reference checking page. Kath. x

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 13:31

Hi to Steph Funny enough i searched before but nothing matches... tried again today and theres a certain match 1913 Edith Collins born Manchester. Hope that person will reply. Heres hoping! Hi to Irene The information on marriage cert is April 22nd 1935 in The parish Church of St Thomas Birmingham in the county of Warwick. Henry Edward Davenport aged 24 Bacholor fathers name Henry Edward Davenport Coal dealer. Edith Dormer (born Collins) aged 21 Spinster stepdad name Thomas Dormer (Deseased) Witnesses is Frank William Burridge (dont know who he is) and Alfred Dormer (Edith's brother) Hope this all helps? Thanks Clare

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 15:48

nudging

Clou

Clou Report 21 Aug 2007 18:14

Am not sure but i know he was at least 5 years younger than Edith Collins. He might be born a Collins then changed to Dormer later on Clare