Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Message Board Upgrade

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 22 Aug 2007 14:47

Dear members, We will be carrying out an upgrade of the message boards today. Unfortunately this means that we need to turn off the boards for a few hours. During this time you will not be able to access or add to posts. Thank you in advance for your patience. We will endeavor to keep down-time of the message boards to a minimum. Also all members will now see the ‘new look’ Genes Reunited when they come to the website. If you find the size of the text is too small or too large please see the Help Centre at the top of the site and search for ‘text too small’ or ‘text too large’. Genes Reunited

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 22 Aug 2007 17:40

Now

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 22 Aug 2007 17:57

don;t like it

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 22 Aug 2007 18:06

What has happened to this website. I've been away for a couple of weeks and its all changed and I don't like it. Why is there a counter telling you that how many of 5000 characters you have left to use?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Aug 2007 18:14

They've changed my name to my maiden name! I haven't been a Turnbull for 43 years. Now the friends that I've made on the boards don't know that it's me!
Margaret

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Aug 2007 18:44

I wouldn't call this an upgrade because key functionality has been lost.

1) Can't "view my threads"
2) Can't edit thread titles
3) Can't sort by poster
4) After viewing a thread on pages 2-100, you get redirected back to page 1 and not the page you were viewing.

Rose

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 22 Aug 2007 18:57

Dear Genes Support Team

Are you all left handed????

You have moved the board names from along the top to the left hand side.

I feel all lopsided now!
:-((

Lopsided Gerri :-((

Oh! my god!!! I'm 'Still Stevens'!!!! I want my usual name back! '§till Lòóking'

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 22 Aug 2007 19:22

Can anyone tell me how to get my user name back?

I went to 'my account' and it's all as i left it before the big change but my name keeps showing as Still Stevens!

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 22 Aug 2007 19:28

Testing my user name.

Yesssssssss it worked! :-))

SJR

SJR Report 22 Aug 2007 19:47

Why are you using Maiden names? Confusing to people wanting help.
Sheila

Angela

Angela Report 22 Aug 2007 19:48

tried to change details on my tree and wont work , got half the tree, and now i cant even veiw it,

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 22 Aug 2007 19:55

Don't like this. It's all spread out. Please tell me this is just a 'test'.

Ivy

Ivy Report 22 Aug 2007 19:59

I see the counter is already in place - so GR are taking note and acting where possible - hooray!

Ivy

Ivy Report 22 Aug 2007 20:06

Viewing old threads - can we have some FAQ guidance on this? It seems that it has been partially replaced by the search function (but I can't get this to work) and partially by bookmarks - ditto.

Ivy

Ivy Report 22 Aug 2007 20:08

Ahh, so the "bookmark" option only appears when we are on a thread - I do now have one.

donna

donna Report 22 Aug 2007 20:13

sorry folks i think its great you can view everything at a glance and its easier to use ..i like it

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Aug 2007 20:16

I like the option to sort by newest post first.

Loz From Leices

Loz From Leices Report 22 Aug 2007 20:17

I also had trouble getting the advance search option to work looking for old threads. I tried using my maiden name, married name and also my nickname without success but then when I tried to log in to my account I found using my log in name worked and brought up all the old threads. I just have to remember to use that in future unless I feel like bookmarking every thread separately :( Try logging into your account section and see what that is and try using that if it is different to what you thought it might be.

Hopefully you get what I mean..

And why are GR so tight with the space in the posting boxes? :(

Loz

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 22 Aug 2007 20:22

don't like it one bit!!
i've still got no account button, have mailed GR, they say it is there!! it's not!!!
but if i go onto FireFox----yes i can see it!!!
why can't they leave things as they were?

Ivy

Ivy Report 22 Aug 2007 20:24

Many thanks, Loz, I see now see "my threads" - had to type in "Ivy ." (without the "'s) to get them.

Also, I was assuming that if I searched under "author" it would only have those threads I started, but it does seem to include those I had just nudged previously.