Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Researching Knights/Peers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

trinni

trinni Report 1 Nov 2007 09:09

Can anyone recommend any websites that list Knights/Peers or advise me how I could find out about one?
I am trying to find the ancestors or place of birth of Sir Ralph Bingley who was in the Ulster Plantation mid 1500's. I dont even know which part of England he was from.
I've had a look on a free search of Burkes Peerage and he's not listed.

trinni

trinni Report 1 Nov 2007 09:23

MGH, I have looked till my eyes hurt but all the references are to do with grants of land or sale of land in Ireland. There is no personal information at all that I can find.
I keep feeling that as he had a title its likely that I should be able to get a bit further back with the family. I'd love to find the name of a wife but unless I can find where he lived before Ireland I think thats probably a lost cause.

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2007 09:28

Only a very vague clue here, but you often find the name of the peer is the same as the family seat. Try looking for places called Bingley? My Sir Walter Acton for example, the family seat was Acton Round in Shropshire and of course once you find the family seat you find family records! Good luck

Oh, have you seen the one name study??

http://www.one-name.org/profiles/bingley.html

Have you checked Wills for him? Tried A2A?

trinni

trinni Report 1 Nov 2007 09:55

Only know of one daughter Elizabeth who married Andrew Knox who became Bishop of Raphoe.
I have her date of birth as being c1569 and the statement "of Rosquil Donegal".
Its all very confusing.
1569 is too early for plantation yet she married in 1585 at Rathmullen in Donegal.
There were some English families settled earlier in the area, perhaps his was one of these, but he was granted parcel of land in early 1600.

Heather thanks for that one name study web address. Sorry to be thick, whats A2A and where would I find wills in Ireland?

Janet

Janet Report 1 Nov 2007 10:33

Have you checked the A2A site?

janet North London Bordersb

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2007 10:35

Hi Trinni - if you google A2A you will find all the different archives info available - Ive had a quick look and there appears to be a number of papers relating to Sir Ralphe but in the mid 1600s? in Ulster referring to lands he was allowed and also something else relating to his wife remarrying and the new hubby taken over said lands.

But if you are saying your chap was 100 years earlier, may be this is his descendant?

Have a look at National Archives site too. Do you have ancestry as they have some records on there which may be of use plus someone in Dublin has a tree on there with Bingley peeps in the 16th century (if I remember correctly). If you dont have an ancestry sub, use the three day free trial on offer at the mo. copy and paste the following address in your address panel

http://landing.ancestry.com/popularmedia/hs1.aspx?landingpage=3DF_nc&o_iid=32618&o_lid=32618&o_it=32845

LOL, Im not even sure what this is about, I had assumed something to do with his probate, may be some kind soul will enlighten us - its on ancestry:
England: - Index to Bills of Provy Signet (Signet Bills), 1584-1596 & 1603-1624; Writs of Privy Seal, 1600-1603
County: General
Bingley, sir Ralph, invention Mar 1619

DOH, just realised there is a Bingley in Yorkshire isnt there! Have you googled to find if there are any others?

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2007 10:43

b) THE NEW SETTLERS IN TIRCONNELL, OR DONEGAL.

ON the confiscation of Tirconnell, and the settlement of British colonies called the "Plantation of Ulster," in the reign of King James the First, the following families are, in Pynnar's Survey, A.D. 1619, given as the possessors of Donegal:--John Murray got all Boylagh and Banagh. The following had various districts:--Captain Thomas Dutton, Alexander Cunningham (or Conyngham), John Cunningham, James Cunningham, Cuthbert Cunningham, Sir James Cunningham, James MacCullagh; William Stewart, the Laird of Dunduff; Alexander MacAwley, alias Stewart; the Laird of Lusse. Sir John Stewart, Peter Benson, William Wilson, Thomas Davis, Captain Mansfield, Sir John Kingsmill, Sir Ralph Bingley, Sir Thomas Coach, Sir George Marburie, Sir William Stewart, Sir Basil Brooke, Sir Thomas Chichester, Sir John Vaughan, John Wray, Arthur Terrie, Captain Henry Hart, Captain Paul Gore, Nathaniel Rowley, William Lynn, and Captain Sandford.

trinni

trinni Report 1 Nov 2007 10:52

Heather, No its the same Ralph Bingley but I think he might have lived in Ireland prior to the plantation of 1600.

Thanks for the A2A advice, that will be very useful for other rellies too.

There is a Bingley in Yorkshire but The 1st Lord Bingley was Robert Benson a whole century later.

I'll check out ancestry with crossed fingers.

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2007 11:07

There is info on a google search re Sir John Bingley in Ulster. Im wondering if that is his father or rellie? I see also that Ralph was High Sherrif - so there must be some detail on him in Ireland. Id start looking for Irish sites myself :)

Alexander

Alexander Report 20 Feb 2014 21:04

Did you ever find out were,Sir Ralph Bingley ,was born ? i think he was born in Wrexham Denbigshire Wales

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Feb 2014 09:59

If you wish to try to contact trinni, click on her name and send a message

She is not likely to see your post....................

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 3 Mar 2014 21:58

Can I suggest the College of Arms;

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/