General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rank or Profession - Jockey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 10 Apr 2008 10:04

Does anyone know whether the rank or profession of Jockey, may have been something different than just riding a horse?
My husbands gt grandfather is noted on his sons marriage certificate as being a Jockey.
His son, grandson & gt grandson are all 6' tall, so I find it hard to believe! Was a Jockey another form of work?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mandy

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Apr 2008 10:31

depends where they lived,industral area,?
it could have been descrtiption to operators piece of machinery?

Amanda

Amanda Report 10 Apr 2008 11:04

Kay

Thanks for that. He lived in Battersea, London (not far from that big power station), so that might make sense.

Thanks for that.
Mandy

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 10 Apr 2008 11:17

A Jockey can be of any height as long as he is of the appropriate weight. Usually though they are between 5' and 5' 5".
A jockey can also be a Horse Dealer or a Minstel. xxx

Amanda

Amanda Report 10 Apr 2008 18:08

Posh

Thank you for the reply. I will investigate further.

Cheers
Mandy

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 10 Apr 2008 23:40

Hiya, recently had cause to make similar enquiry. He wasn't called Cook was he? LOL

Unfortunately mine seems to have died out of the country or something as I haven't found anything on him. I know he was deceased by 1881 when his daughter (my ancestor) was just 8 (or 11 if you believe her marriage cert LOL).

Amanda

Amanda Report 7 Apr 2013 03:24

Summer Scribe, Sorry for the LONG delay in replying. No the surname wasn't Cook, so not the same fella.

Mandy

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 7 Apr 2013 17:03

Amanda.. A P Mccoy champion jockey is 5 foot 9.... so jump jockeys can be quite tall... flat jockeys are shorter.... :-D

Amanda

Amanda Report 9 Apr 2013 23:09

Thanks Kim, but ascertained that he was more likely a machinery worker. Thanks anyway.