General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rank or Profession - Jockey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 9 Apr 2013 23:09

Thanks Kim, but ascertained that he was more likely a machinery worker. Thanks anyway.

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 7 Apr 2013 17:03

Amanda.. A P Mccoy champion jockey is 5 foot 9.... so jump jockeys can be quite tall... flat jockeys are shorter.... :-D

Amanda

Amanda Report 7 Apr 2013 03:24

Summer Scribe, Sorry for the LONG delay in replying. No the surname wasn't Cook, so not the same fella.

Mandy

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 10 Apr 2008 23:40

Hiya, recently had cause to make similar enquiry. He wasn't called Cook was he? LOL

Unfortunately mine seems to have died out of the country or something as I haven't found anything on him. I know he was deceased by 1881 when his daughter (my ancestor) was just 8 (or 11 if you believe her marriage cert LOL).

Amanda

Amanda Report 10 Apr 2008 18:08

Posh

Thank you for the reply. I will investigate further.

Cheers
Mandy

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 10 Apr 2008 11:17

A Jockey can be of any height as long as he is of the appropriate weight. Usually though they are between 5' and 5' 5".
A jockey can also be a Horse Dealer or a Minstel. xxx

Amanda

Amanda Report 10 Apr 2008 11:04

Kay

Thanks for that. He lived in Battersea, London (not far from that big power station), so that might make sense.

Thanks for that.
Mandy

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Apr 2008 10:31

depends where they lived,industral area,?
it could have been descrtiption to operators piece of machinery?

Amanda

Amanda Report 10 Apr 2008 10:04

Does anyone know whether the rank or profession of Jockey, may have been something different than just riding a horse?
My husbands gt grandfather is noted on his sons marriage certificate as being a Jockey.
His son, grandson & gt grandson are all 6' tall, so I find it hard to believe! Was a Jockey another form of work?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mandy