General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

narcissistic mothers

Page 0 + 1 of 34

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Mar 2014 14:51

It certainly helped me.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Mar 2014 07:53

Thanks Tania.

Let's hope it does offer a bit of hope to somebody.

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 23 Mar 2014 04:23

Just heard of another narcissistic parent
Thought it was time this popped back to the top for those who need it

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2014 12:29

OMG.

I have seen other children who are evident victims and have felt so helpless in being able to do nothing to help them.

This is why I want to do all I can to get the condition better known. It thrives on secrecy

Paula+

Paula+ Report 6 Mar 2014 12:25

Thank you Sharron. My sons ex wife now has a little boy from another relationship, my heart breaks with what he will have to endure.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2014 12:24

nudged

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Mar 2014 13:52

Good idea Sharron.
It´s worth saying that some of us suffer from narcissistic husbands too.
It´s not just women who are like that.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2014 08:54

I thought I might bring this up again in case somebody needs it.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 14 Nov 2013 14:14

Oh No Sharron we must never ever lose this thread. I found out finally that it was not my fault and that has helped me.
It has helped others and will continue in the future.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Nov 2013 10:32

I thought I would just give this a nudge so we don't lose it.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 May 2013 21:21

Thank you.

You grow up with it thinking you are the only one and the world is full of them.

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 5 May 2013 17:20

guys... what can i say... interesting reading sounds weird to say... but interesting...
i googled narcissism and reading it my husband sorry ex husband seemed to be a bit like that so if i wasnt good enough according to him why did he marry me..... and then dumb me went out with another guy just like him... .....

To Sharron and everyone on here... STAND TALL,,,, LOOK AHEAD,,, AND YOU ARE ALL SO MUCH BETTER THAN THEM.......

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 May 2013 23:43

This website has a list of the movies that feature NPD parents - mostly mothers. Of course the most famous one was the movie and book "Mommy Dearest" about the actress Joan Crawford who was a classic narcissistic mother.

http://www.daughtersofnarcissisticmothers.com/movies-featuring-npd.html

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 May 2013 15:09

Oh to have something big like the Savile scandal hit the headlines to bring narcissism out in the open.

Wouldn't that be great?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Feb 2013 19:08

Hi Sharron,
I think I had strange ways of dealing with it. I used to sit in the garden in the evenings. From about the age of 10, I had advanced to going outside and walking through the countryside. Okay in the summer, but not too welcome (by mum) in the winter when it was dark - but I preferred walking in the dark.
Dad worked abroad from when I was 12, and when I was 15, mum went to live with him. They bought a house for me and my sister (then aged 19) to live in. So, I was free!! :-D
I moved out of the house after a year.

As we got older, my sister and I started talking about our childhood.
One day, when we were very tipsy, we started a game - 'how many times can you remember mum.......'
'giving you a cuddle?' Sister won - once to my zero!!
'putting you down?' etc etc

We agreed we wouldn't bring our children up the same way. I told my children from an early age, if they thought I was being unreasonable or just plain nasty, they had to tell me. If I didn't cuddle them enough - they just had to ask.
I think I succeeded - they say I was usually unbelievably tolerant - to the point that as adults, they told me they knew when (as children) they were annoying me (which they admit they did intentionally) as my eyes would shake - then they'd see how much further they could go!!

Despite not being very tactile, our children are, and our grandchildren even more so :-D
Sometimes I forget to give one of my (now grown up) daughters a cuddle - so they just grab me.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Feb 2013 09:22

I think you might be describing a degree of narcissim Maggie.

Evidently it was a degree you could cope with without too much distress.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Feb 2013 00:22

Like you, Paula, I'm glad to see it restored.
I've only read through the last 3 pages, and realise my mum wasn't really narcissistic, she just never really wanted me and never really wanted to know me!
She told my sister, (I'm the youngest of 4) after staying with me 2 years ago, that I 'Had a great sense of humour and was quite a nice person', and that she'd never realised it before!! Well, it only took her 54 years to work that one out :-D
She died in December, and me and my siblings had to go out to Portugal (where she lived) to sign various documents, clear the house etc. The only thing mum & I had in common was genealogy, which I started.

The four of us stayed in mums house for a week, and some interesting conversations took place between the four of us.

It was agreed, I got the sh*t deal!! Mum would be okay for a while, then suddenly start treating me like a naughty 8 year old - even though I was a grandmother. I was lucky my sister and one brother had noticed it, so I wasn't going mad.
Having said that, mum had a hard deal, she had to look after her brother (10 years younger) more than was necessary, when she was young, as her elder sister was 'destined for better things'. (which, of course, never transpired)

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 20 Feb 2013 20:20

Pleased to see this thread restored. :-D :-D

Carol

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Feb 2013 19:12

I have found a site called 'Lights House' which is pretty useful.
There appear to be a few more sites about narcissism coming along.And a good thing too I say.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 20 Feb 2013 15:35

So glad it has been found - much too important to be 'lost'. May it continue to give hope to others.