General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Uni finance in the UK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 8 Jun 2008 13:38

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone out there can point me in the direction of some good advice.

My son is at Uni in the UK, he was living with his Dad from the time we moved to Ireland until he went to Uni. His Dad was unable/didnt want to give his financial details so my son didnt get much assistance. He believed his father was going to help him out but that hasnt happened. He is now in a mess financially. He has had a letter from the Uni I believe because his halls fees are unpaid and the jist of this letter seems to suggest he wont be allowed back next year if he doesnt pay up. They are also threatening bailiffs. He has very little anyway. He has even had to borrow a pair of his mates trainers as his have fallen apart. Had I know before I went to see him I would have bought some. I am simply not in a position to bail him out. My ex stopped paying maintenance 2 years ago when our youngest turned 16 because he said she could go out to work and he was going to have to support our son through Uni. He isnt answering/returning my calls either.

I am at a bit of a loss what to do, Richie even lost his mobile the other day so I cant even ring him anymore.

Any advice much appreciated.

love Theresa


kay Report 8 Jun 2008 13:49

Sorry to hear about your problems,Im sure there must be someone connected to uni that you could contact for advice.
Is this his first year ?
My daughter is at uni,but she is 31 so she sorts her own business out.If I speak to her later,I will see what she says.
Try not to worry

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 8 Jun 2008 13:54

Thanks Kay,

yes it is his first year and he is 19, a bit scatty too which doesnt help.

love T.x


Alko Report 8 Jun 2008 13:56

You can get government grants but it very much depends on the household income. They expect kids to work when at uni, god knows why. Try speaking to the uni about his rent on halls and see if they come up with anything. They have it very hard these days. Good luck xxxx



CATHKIN Report 8 Jun 2008 13:57

there are Hardships grants in Scotland -not sure if England -don`t need to pay back.
Ros xx


Alko Report 8 Jun 2008 14:07

Just spoke to my daughter. Check on UCAS website as they have loads of info on bursaries and grants. Hope it works out for him xxx


InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Jun 2008 14:46

Have a look at a site such as UCAS, there is lots of useful information.

Fees and hall costs are normally payable in installments at set intervals during the year.. Are you saying nothing has been paid at all?

Has he drawn all of the student loans he is entitled to? Whilst not enough to live the life of luxury, they should be sufficient to pay for fees and accomodation,.

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 8 Jun 2008 15:43

Thanks everyone, I will try and ring the student services at some point tomorrow. I believe there is some type of grant available but it is rarely given out. He may end up with another loan. The whole situation is ridiculous to be honest. His Dad should be helping out but he hasnt heard from him since Easter. Could be worse our youngest child moved to Ireland with me and all she ever gets is the odd email. She turned 18 last Monday and she got an e-card. He has never phoned our house in the 6 years since we moved to speak to her.

love T.x

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 8 Jun 2008 15:53

Theresa, there is lots of assistance for students in trouble - a huge percentage of all students in the UK are from abroad so need lots of help as parents and so on aren't around. There are counsellors for all sorts of things, including finances - I'm sure someone will help with sensible advice. Ring them all tomorrow.

Jan the cornish piskie

Jan the cornish piskie Report 8 Jun 2008 16:56

Speak to the local LEA, where you son lives. These are the people that do the funding and tell them you ex will not provide his details which is causing your son difficulties, He them may be able to become an independent student which means he may get more help.

Jan x


Deanna Report 8 Jun 2008 17:18

I think you have had all the helpful advice you need Teresa.
I just hope that your son gets some help.
Just try it all there is help out there.

I do know that they will often not mark papers if the student owes money.... but since it is not his fault.... this is so unfair.

Deanna X


Sheila Report 8 Jun 2008 17:44

Hi - I work in Student Funding at a UK University. His funding will be assessed on his Dad's income and if his Dad won't provide his details, then your son cannot be properly assessed. So he'll only get loans, not a maintenance grant, even if he would be entitled to one if his father's details were known.

The financial assessment is the gateway to most other student funding (eg bursaries). There is something called the Access to Learning Fund, which is designed to help students stay in education of they would otherwise have to drop out for financial reasons, but we've used all ours up for this year and are telling students they will have to apply in September when the next allocation of money arrives.

Your son is in a difficult position and you will also probably find that the Uni can't talk to you because he is an adult and we have Data Protection regulations. I am not allowed to talk to parents about students' personal matters - ridiculous though it is.

Talk to the Uni first and see where you go from there. I have also PMed you.


Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 8 Jun 2008 19:25

Thanks everyone.

I will be talking to the Uni and the LEA who deal with Richies grant are just down the road from my sister so if I need to go there I can. I think I might know someone in the Student Services office down in Southampton, I went to school with her. Blinking nightmare this is, I have even tried contacting my ex mother in the hope she might be able to have some influence.

love T.x

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 10 Jun 2008 15:51

Hi all,

I rang the Uni yesterday and they were understanding and said they would see what they could do. I spoke to the LEA today as they happen to be just down the road from my sisters pplace and they were very helpful.. They said that he should apply with me as his next of kin as I am on a low income and have had more contact with him over the last year than his father. He should qualify for a full grant on my husbands earnings too but I havent heard from Richie, could kill him as I sent down a parcel with a new phone in it yesterday!! I know it was signed for but obviously dont know who got it. I only hope it was him...

love Theresa