General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The power of the spoken or written word

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 11 Jun 2008 23:23

The frog story

Author Unknown

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 11 Jun 2008 23:24

A group of frogs were travelling through the woods and two of them fell into a deep pit. All the other frogs gathered around the pit. When they saw how deep the pit was, they told the two frogs that they were as good as dead. The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of the pit with all of their might. The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as dead. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and gave up. He fell down and died.
The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and just die. He jumped even harder and finally made it out.
When he got out, the other frogs said, 'Did you not hear us?' The frog explained to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time.
This story teaches two lessons:

There is power of life and death in the tongue. An encouraging word to someone who is down can lift them up and help them make it through the day.

A destructive word to someone who is down can be what it takes to kill them. Be careful of what you say.

Speak life to those who cross your path. The power of words .... it is sometimes hard to understand that an encouraging word can go such a long way. Anyone can speak words that tend to rob another of the spirit to continue in difficult times.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 11 Jun 2008 23:26

Lovely story Joy and so true :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Jun 2008 23:26

I like it - very much - and very appropriate for this evening I think!!

Thanks Joy

Ann X

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 11 Jun 2008 23:32

Thank you. I posted it on the general board a while ago. This is my first venture at posting a thread on this new style chat board.

TLC for your cough, Lesley.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 11 Jun 2008 23:39

Thanks Joy, at least the painkillers are starting to kick in now.

Exploring new lands are you Joy? :-)

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 11 Jun 2008 23:41

Just having a little peek ... :-)

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Jun 2008 11:08

nudged

♥~Billy's Mum ~♥

♥~Billy's Mum ~♥ Report 12 Jun 2008 11:17

Brilliant ! So True x Thanks for sharing it x
Very apt !

jgee

jgee Report 12 Jun 2008 11:59

so true Joy

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Jun 2008 19:20

Thank you.

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 12 Jun 2008 19:37

Joy

We read it at our conferences at work all the time, sort of a motivation pick up..................never listen to the negatives only the positives if you want to succeed in life.

There is another one very similar about a donkey I think

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Jun 2008 23:41

Thank you. I'll have a search for the one about the donkey.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 26 Jun 2008 21:18

nudged

Sheila

Sheila Report 26 Jun 2008 21:22

Think given the atmosphere today,this could do with a nudge .......... lovely story :o)

ginqueen

ginqueen Report 26 Jun 2008 21:36

That's a lovely story - thanks for sharing..

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 28 Jun 2008 23:23

You're welcome