General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

YOUNG DUCKLINGS

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 15 Jun 2008 20:58

Oh Wendy I am soo sorry that is very sad, bless the little thing. I hope the other one survives - especially as it now has another little pal to snuggle up to.

Tina xxxx

{****wendylady****}

{****wendylady****} Report 15 Jun 2008 18:05

Sad to tell you one of my little ducklings died this afternoon, i believe it was to young to be taken away from mommy, DIB passed away and DAB is pining for her, she was breathing shallow so and not eating so i sat all day giving her syringe with water and grinded up food..... I just come back from the farm where i brought them from .... and the farmer has given me another one in replace of DIB.... she wont be replace as she was alittle cutey god bless her she was very sweet..... Now we have FAB & DAB....
we have bured DIB in the garden where my roses grow beautifully..... GOD BLESS GODS TINY LITTLE CREATURES.....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2008 10:55

Hi Wendy,
I used to keep ducks, it started when we 'acquired' a male rescued from a neighbour and bought an adult female to keep him company.
Never had a problem with keeping the ducklings warm as mum was always about. However, mum used to disappear into the woods and hatch her eggs, then come back when the babies were about 3 days old,
Don't feed them layers pellets until you know their sex, you can buy growers pellets, that are smaller and give the ducklings all the vitamins and minerals they need to grow. Layers pellets are, as the name suggests, for helping females lay eggs!!
As others have said, don't give them any water to swim in until they have feathers, Strangely, ducks are prone to rheumatism in their legs, and getting stuck in water can cause it!!
I also found one male to 4 - 6 females was a good ratio, as drakes can be a wee bit rampant, and two males can lead to 'male rape' - hence our rescued drake - the neighbour had 6 drakes cooped up in a pigeon loft and poor old Manny was constantly raped, in fact he suffered chronic depression afterwards - hence we got Peggy for him and kept some of the female ducklings to boost the ratio, because as Manny's depression went, his libido shot up and poor Peggy couldn't cope!!
Let's hope you have either a pair or 2 females or there could be some nasty goings-on.
What variety are they?

maggie

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 15 Jun 2008 08:28

n

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 15 Jun 2008 07:39

Hi Wendy

I was wondering how the little duckling was getting along?

Tina xx

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 14 Jun 2008 19:36

Sounds as though the ducklings will do just fine. You will be able to sex them when they are older, hope you have got females and not 2 drakes. Jean

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 14 Jun 2008 11:38

We have a stream run through our garden, and also have a pond.
Ducks swim up the stream and build nests on the bank, and use our pond for eating the plants.

We dont encourage them now, because there are foxes about, and also I saw a local cat running along the road with a duckling in its mouth.

Pity, because we loved the little things.

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 14 Jun 2008 11:31

I know of cases where, if ducklings have been left by/taken away from their mothers, the babies' human carers have put down an old cuddly toy for them to snuggle up to.

I've also heard scorn poured on that idea, but apparently it gives them a bit more security at that young age. I'd think it's worth a try.
x

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Jun 2008 22:53

My Dad used to bring home day old chicks, and put them in a homemade wooden frame on top of lots of newspaper, he would put an old stone hot water bottle in one corner with an old sweater round it and they would snuggle up in the sweater, and he fed them chopped up boiled egg for a little while, can picture them now, in our living room of all places, the only room with a fire in, no central heating then lol Can still hear their peeping and smell the egg.
I hope your little ones do well.
Lizx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jun 2008 21:12

Wendylady

Soon they will see you as 'Mum' and follow you about.

We have had wild ducklings hatch in our garden in previous years, when Mrs Duck again favoured us for her nest, forgetting she could fly in over the 5 foot fence....they couldn't.
I went down to the nearby stream and collected a bucket of duckweed / water and put it in one of those large saucers that go under plant pots.
I opened the gate on their 2nd day though and they all waddled off past the shop and along to the stream.

Gwyn

Gwyn

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 13 Jun 2008 20:58

Wendylady, Have had all kinds of birds including ducks. You must keep them warm and do not let them have swimming water until they are properly feathered as they do not produce their own oil for waterproofing. They rely on the oil from their mothers feathers, that is why you see babies with mums in the wild swimming, they have her oil to waterproof them. The preen gland is on top of their tail a little pink gland (small). If you let them swim they will become waterlogged and either drown or get hypothermia. Hope this helps. Oh and by the way stupid farmer for taking them from their mums so young. Elaine.

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jun 2008 20:55

Hi,
Just wanted to say . When I was a young girl my Dad used to get day old chicks to rear he kept them in a shed and suspended an old fashioned cotton mop head so it just touched the ground. The chicks used to snuggle up under the mop as if they were snuggling under their mothers feathers.
Regards Mary

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jun 2008 20:53

Hi,
Just wanted to say . When I was a young girl my Dad used to get day old chicks to rear he kept them in a shed and suspended an old fashioned cotton mop head so it just touched the ground. The chicks used to snuggle up under the mop as if they were snuggling under their mothers feathers.Hope they are ok.
Regards Mary

{****wendylady****}

{****wendylady****} Report 13 Jun 2008 20:15

Hi caz.... sorry i forgot to ask you yestersday were in cannock you long distant rellies were from?.........
I got a little yellow one which will be white eventually and a little black and tan one...... farmer doesnt even know what sex they are?.... i will have to keep eye on them when they are bigger lol i will become a grandma lol....

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 13 Jun 2008 20:10

How lovely Wendy,

All the very best of luck to you and the cute little ducklings. I love ducks,

Caz xx

{****wendylady****}

{****wendylady****} Report 13 Jun 2008 20:08

They are beautiful harp strings they are very vocal so im hopefull.... will keep you up to to date..... named them DIB & DAB..... thankyou to everyone who gave me advice... if anyone has anymore ideas.... please let me know..... im like a fretting mommy lol.... 8-) x

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 13 Jun 2008 20:05

Ahhh bless them Wendylady. I hope you keep us updated on their progress.

Tina xx

{****wendylady****}

{****wendylady****} Report 13 Jun 2008 19:58

Well i have put them in a warm cat box with hay and straw.... my dorta had a cup at xmas with a little minuture water bottle attached so i have put it in an old sock and wraped tea towel round it with alittle warm water in it they snuggled up to that for now.....he told me to give them layers pellets but i think they are to much for the ducklings i just brought some chick crumbs....im hoping i am doing enough for them....

kay

kay Report 13 Jun 2008 19:57

Google ...day old chicks and ducklings
plenty of advice there,and arnt they gorgeous,its years since Ive had baby chicks

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 13 Jun 2008 19:55

No they havent been removed too young. You buy poultry from day olds onwards.

ALl they need is a reasonably warm place and some water and food. They will be fine.