General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ham soup recipe please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jun 2008 18:40

I know there was a good thread on soup making on here some time back so there must be some experts.

I bought a bag of off cuts and a ham bone at my butcher for 50p today and I have been looking at recipes but they all seem to take a very long time - lol.

Has anyone got a recipe for say ham and potato soup that doesnt mean leaving it overnight or anything - thanks.

Am off now to knock out a salad x

JustJean

JustJean Report 14 Jun 2008 19:38

Heather ,just nudged aprevious thread, there is another one I will see if I can find it

Jean x

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jun 2008 22:34

Thanks very much Jean. I dont want to waste my bargain 50p of ham bone and cut offs :)

Margaret Ashburton NZ

Margaret Ashburton NZ Report 14 Jun 2008 23:23

ham and potato soup

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk

Directions
Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jun 2008 23:35

Oh bless you, that sounds perfect.

Is that ok to use the bones and off cuts - I guess it will be. Its very quick compared with the other recipes Ive looked at where they say a minimum of 2 hours.