General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gloss Paint Advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 16 Jun 2008 10:27

Using well known gloss paint and is given me headache - have only done one door got another to do - phewey the smell! Have got front window open and french doors, I cannot open up the house any more any tips on smell please?
Cheers
Tina x

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 16 Jun 2008 10:29

Oh really? OK *goes to check veg rack* lol

Thanks xxx

Hoobity

Hoobity Report 16 Jun 2008 10:31

Is that not half an onion in a bowl of water?

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 16 Jun 2008 10:36

I will use a whole onion then half in water half not! LOLOLOL

Cheers
Tina xxxx

ahh - is that hot water?

Dianne

Dianne Report 16 Jun 2008 10:39

Put a bowl of milk near where you are working to absorb the smell, but fling the milk out later and don't use it.

Dianne xx

Hoobity

Hoobity Report 16 Jun 2008 10:40

dont know Tina never tried it just heard it before lol, let us know whichever one works as I don't like the smell of paint but only remember the onion thing when I've finished painting. Think the fumes puddle my head lol.

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 16 Jun 2008 10:43

I have put a whole onion (which was a really old one and sprouting) into a saucepan of boiling water.

Another onion - old one (must remember to buy some onions this week lol) by the side of it.

Milk?

If OH comes in he will think I have finally flipped PMSL.

I will try anything.

Living room now smells like a pickling plant LOLOLOL

Tina xx

Blue Moon

Blue Moon Report 16 Jun 2008 10:49

Its a bit late now but if your doing wood work inside,Dulux Trade do a water base gloss which is low odour (and it dries fast), ideal if you suffer from asthma and other breathing problems,also if you are using white it stays white longer,its the solvents in paint that turn it yellow.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Jun 2008 12:11

A large bucket of water will help too do something about the smell, and the onion shouldn't be boiled lol no wonder it pongs !

Wonder if this house will start smelling of paint soon. Am hoping o.h. finishes off the shower installation and decorating the bathroom now the holiday is over! Won't hold my breath, he started on November 19th!!!!

Lizx

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥ Report 16 Jun 2008 12:21

tina simple solution hun JUST STOP PAINTING

lmao and let other half do it while u go out for the day

hehehe

~~~Foxylady (with silverhair)~~~

~~~Foxylady (with silverhair)~~~ Report 16 Jun 2008 12:27

Thanks Blue Moon on the paint tip on white paint, i tell OH when he comes home

Sue

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 16 Jun 2008 13:06

Tsk! Wish I knew about Dulux. We have Dulux gloss ordinary.

got both french doors open now -so looks like we have no wall in the living room - good job its a lovely day. Smell has diminished - well I think it has - could be I am just getting used to it. lol

Stray - if I left it to OH the paint would be slapped on any way and the paintwork not rubbed down.

He has done the ceiling - once - I have said it needs another coat -he is refusing! Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!

Dont know how I am going to manage skirting boards - will have to lay down on the pouffe and paint - cannot kneel. So that will be a sight to behold *note to self, hide all cameras in the house*. lol

Tina xxxx

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 16 Jun 2008 13:09

Go out ! ? ! ?

and then head my way and do my well overdue bathroom too lolol

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 16 Jun 2008 13:18

LOL Anita.

Oh well, had me lunch break - better get cracking on with something else. Tsk a womans work is never done!

LOL

Bye for now
tina xxxx

Bad_Wolf

Bad_Wolf Report 16 Jun 2008 22:03

Change to acrylic paint: it dries quickly (sometimes TOO quickly!); has little smell; the brushes can be cleaned with water (it is a water-based paint); and the colour does not fade - your bright white will still be bright in five years' time.