General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a song.........

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 17 Jun 2008 21:18

That you actually can't listen to because it's too painful......or is it just me?

Angels by Robbie Williams (following lisa's thread) is a painful song for me to listen to but it's so well done I can kind of get past my feelings and listen to it......... BUT

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton........jeeze........no way.......if I am in a shop and it comes on I have to walk out.

It's now been over ten years since my reason for not being able to hear that song happened...but I'd no way even try it even now !!!

Anyone else have a song that does this to them?xx

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 17 Jun 2008 21:21

"My Sharona", from the late 70's I think. Awful time for me.

Linda G

Linda G Report 17 Jun 2008 21:25

Sarah McLachlan - Angel

Beautiful...but has very sad memories for me

Linda

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Jun 2008 21:27

Softly as I leave You - Matt Monroe

My lovely OH was a lifetime member of Pendyrus Male Choir and at his funeral the choir was in full attendance - they sang the hymns I had chosen along with the congregation and then as we were leaving the church with the coffin, unbeknown to me, they started to sing Softly as I leave you - a track they had just recorded!!! I had kept a lid on things until then, as had most of the vast congregation, but I'm afraid I completely lost it at that point, along with the rest of the congregation and just dissolved into sobs

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 17 Jun 2008 21:27

Awwwwwwww Ann. xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jun 2008 21:29

I agree with you about 'Tears in Heaven', that really pulls my strings.
But the one that has me crying uncontrollably is Canned Heats 'On the Road again'. Last heard it in full in May last year when, as requested by him, it was played at my brother in laws funeral.

Ann, that is a lovely song.

maggie

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 17 Jun 2008 21:32

A song by U2

Bono wrote it after his Dad died.............can't think of the title off the top of my head.

We went to see them live at the Millenium stadium back in 2005 not long after Mum had passed and I had tears streaming down my face.............if OH puts it on now I have to leave as it still gets me

Germaine

Germaine Report 17 Jun 2008 21:35

I'll Find My Way Home - Jon And Vangelis

Heard it just after I lost my dad and although I will listen to it I get a lump just thinking of it.
Germaine
x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2008 21:36

Talking 1950,s now But when i was pregnant with our daughter the song The story of my Life by Michael Holiday was a big hit. Unfortunately i suffered from all day "morning" sickness and it seemed every time that song was played on the radio i was throwing up!!.I have never been able to listen to that song without it causing me to feel nauseous. Thank goodness its well in the past and rarely ever played now

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 17 Jun 2008 21:37

Have to admit Muffy, Tears in Heaven does it for me everytime too. No particular reason either, just the words of the song.

Eeyore13

Eeyore13 Report 17 Jun 2008 21:37

Perfect Day-reminds me of the last time I saw my Brother.

McB

McB Report 17 Jun 2008 21:38

I know a song that'll get on your nerves

get on your nerves

lol

Twinklyoceanblue

Twinklyoceanblue Report 17 Jun 2008 21:39

You Raise me up...Westlife x

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 17 Jun 2008 21:39

'The wind beneath my wings ' sung by Bette Midler was my mums fave. I cry my eyes out when i hear it. My mums been gone almost 13 years but it still affects me. It was also played at my dads funeral in April.
My mum liked Tom Jones aswell. Green Green Grass of Home brings a lump to my throat.

Yvonne x

*Ophelia.taking a break..*

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 17 Jun 2008 21:40

Renee and Renato..coz its sooooo corny!
(save you love for me)

The Birdy song..makes me get up and dance..(alcohol induced dancing )

and senead Oconnor..(nothing compares to you)
takes me back to an unhappy relationship..

Dancing Queen by Abba..always gets me on the dance floor..
I am very mood motivated!!..; )

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 17 Jun 2008 21:40

Another one of Robbie's songs that I have difficulty listening to is "Eternity" it was in the charts during the summer of 2001 and we were on holiday and had to come home a day early as Mum was getting worse, ( The holiday was booked by her and Dad and when she was admitted by the hospice she made us promise to still go away even if she couldn't come). Well we brought the latest Now cd (no 49) and the 1st track on the cd is "Eternity" and the start of the 2nd verse goes,

Yesterday when you were walking,
You talked about your Mom and Dad.
What they did had made you happy,
What they didnt made you sad.

We got home on late on the Friday night and that was the last time Mum spoke to all of us cohereantly, She died on the early hours of the following Tuesday morning.

Everytime I hear that song it fills me up, because of the significance.

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 17 Jun 2008 21:42

ann
jus read your song and i think that would do it for me too, to ave something so special and so poiniant, my word, youd never be able to listen to that ever again would you,
sounds beautiful too

mines dont speak by oh i forgot the grooup gwen stefani,
and sinaed oconners tear jerker, that both remind me of my mam

*Ophelia.taking a break..*

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 17 Jun 2008 21:42

~~but I think the one that makes me cry would be Ave Maria.....~~

an_angel_on_a_mission

an_angel_on_a_mission Report 17 Jun 2008 21:43

Mika- Any other world.

Brought the album in feb 07.

Mother in law wpassed away, hubby had that at crem.

Month later my grandad passed away, i insisted it was played for him. When he was interred it was played.

When ever i feel down i grab my nan n garndad's picture and play it. I always end up crying whilest trying to sing along.

Chell
x

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 17 Jun 2008 21:43

Another one for me is If Tomorrow Never Comes, Ronan Keeting. It was one of my late dad's favourites. Have it on cd, but haven't heard it since he died because I just can't bare to play it.