General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Felt a right spanner this morning.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Little Nanna Lynn °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Little Nanna Lynn °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º° Report 3 Jul 2008 16:36

i should imagine, a lot on here, like me suffer from panic attacks, i must admit mine have become a lot less frequent over the last year or so, but i had a cracker this morning,
was on the bus into town, it was very full and i started to feel trapped in, the normal things happened, i couldnt get my breath, started to perspire, and a feeling of dread washed over me. I dashed to the front of the bus and shouted at the driver to stop, the poor man he didnt know what was wrong, and i was in such a state i couldnt tell him, so he opened the door and i ran off,
once out in the open, i was ok again after a few mins,
Goodness knows what the folks on the bus thought of this stupid woman.

so how do you handle a panic attack if your unfortunate enough to have them

xxLynnxx

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 3 Jul 2008 16:44

How awful they must be! I have never had them but two of my nearest and dearest used to suffer from them. They always made sure they had a brown paper bag in their pockets, just in case of hyperventilation. I do realise that the folks on the bus may find it strange to see someone's head stuck in a bag, but hey! if it helps! BC XX

Julia

Julia Report 3 Jul 2008 16:46

Lynne my friend, just the same as you, and I've had some corkers,believe you me.
Julia in Derbyshire

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 3 Jul 2008 16:47

Sorry Lynn ....but I think you did the right thing ....And sod what people think ......

There are worse things that happen ....

Next time do the same ....one day it might be them ..

Take care .xxxxx

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 3 Jul 2008 16:48

You will think im even weirder Lynn

But when I used to suffer from them and couldnt get into the open I used to sing a song in my head for some reason it calmed me down enough that I didnt go into full panic and could then make my way out of the situation that had caused it.

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Little Nanna Lynn °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º° Report 3 Jul 2008 16:48

i was once told to put elastic bands on my wrists and then when a panic starts ping them really hard, it takes your mind off the attack apparantley lol

willhave to start usingthis method, if these damn things are returning

xxLynnxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jul 2008 16:49

Lynn, i do feel for you. I don't suffer myself, but my sister and my friend used to suffer from them. Both learnt to drive and they're now in control. It seems just the knowledge that in the car park they have a little sanctuary to run to has helped.

I read a hilarious book about how to cope with panic attacks. It had a list of things to take with you. the ones I can remember are a coat, hat and sunglasses to disappear in to, an umbrella to finish off the disappearance, chewing gum, mints and a brown paper bag to breathe into.

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Jul 2008 16:49

Never done that on a bus, but have pushed and fought myway out of all sorts of crowds over the years.

Hope you're feeling better now. Deep breaths?

S xx

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Little Nanna Lynn °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º° Report 3 Jul 2008 16:52

seems daft to me, im settled, happy, not depressed and life is looking really good at the moment, so why his one happened this morning goodness knows,

so its paper bag in pocket, songs in head and elastic bands on wrists from now on, failing that, shout at the bus driver lol

xxLynnxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jul 2008 16:53

Lynne, there are several who suffer these that go on the depressions and anxieties thread. you may get advice from them if you want it.

We have double decker buses and I always try and go upstairs because I hate the hemmed in feeling you get downstairs when it is hot and crowded. And why are the bus heaters still on? Ours was roasting this morning.

Ann
glos

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 3 Jul 2008 16:53

i used to get them when i was younger but over the last few years i haven't had them......that was until last october when i was 2 hrs into a flight to Dubai!!!!!!
i felt so ill but managed to get through the flight,i still don't know how,but they did have to get a wheelchair to get me off.

hope you're feeling better now,
Karen x

Julia

Julia Report 3 Jul 2008 16:56

Mine were mainly about being on a bus, and when it stopped at traffic lights that were on a hill. I always thought that when the driver put the bus into gear, it would roll back down the hill. Needless to say I am not a driver. I did this regular on the bus going to work in a morning, as at least 4 out of 5 times we had to pull up for the lights changing. My most memorable was on the Rest and Be Thankful Pass in Scotland when my OH told the coach driver to "Ignore her mate", and similar in the Lake District. Funny now talking about it, but not at the time.
Julia in Derbyshire

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Little Nanna Lynn °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º° Report 3 Jul 2008 16:56

awful things arent they, the fear is overwhelming,

a few hugs for all who suffer from them, (((( HUGS ))))

im feeling a lot better now than i did this morning thanks Karen, but still not quite right, ( if i ever was )

xxLynnxx

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 3 Jul 2008 17:04

((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Karen x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Jul 2008 17:14

Nowhere near the same panic as some of you have suffered but my missus detests those escalator stairways.......just CANT judge when to step on, or off......

Bob

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Little Nanna Lynn °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º° Report 3 Jul 2008 18:53

dont mind escalators Bob, not too keen on lifts though,
my big sister has a lot to answer for, she used to lock me in the wardrobe when i was a kiddie, she thought it was so funny

xxLynnxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Jul 2008 02:37

Lynn, must have been scary for you. Why not try a few drops of Rescue Remedy before you go out to get the bus, and if the worse comes to the worse, and you still feel panicky, take some more drops or get the spray, and use it if the panic starts. Might help.
Lizxx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 4 Jul 2008 06:09

I HAVNT HAD ONE FOR YEARS
BUT NOW BACK WITH VENGACE

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Jul 2008 07:27

I hope today is better for you Lynn.
It must be really frightening when an attack happens.
Don't let it stop you venturing out again though, perhaps first travelling with one of your girls, so that you know you CAN do it.
((hugs))

Gwyn x

Maddiecow

Maddiecow Report 4 Jul 2008 07:40

I used to have what where thought to be panic attacks - I felt sick, a band constricting round my chest with a burning sensation and feel shakey. If I was on the bus or something or in a shop I would want to get out - I'd go hot and needed air. I had this since my teens I am not one to bother the doc often and it came and went.

However 2 decades on I had a cough I could not shift and was sick most mornings and thought I was having panic attacks so went to the docs about the cough, sickness and dizziness.

Turns out all these years I had suffered from excess acid and had a small ulcer type thing.

Been on meds for 4 months now to calm the acid - just finishing them and have never felt better lol. Doh!!

Sorry if I appear to make light of a serious problem (panic attacks) but I wonder how many people actually see their GP about this kind of thing or do most like me keep it quiet and just assume its one of those things?

PS Lynn

You prob made the drivers day as most of the bus drivers on buses I get look bored.