General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

7th July 2005 ... in remembrance

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 6 Jul 2008 08:27

London bombings

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 6 Jul 2008 08:28

Thinking of those who were, and are still affected by that day.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 6 Jul 2008 08:34

My prayers go out for those who died, and for those who were injured and survived, and for all their families affected on that terribly sad day.

K x

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 6 Jul 2008 21:41

Remembering members of this site who helped the victims: a paramedic and a tube driver.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2008 21:45

Joy
I remember that day on the boards as the news gradually came in and we feared for our GR friends.

Remembering all caught up and affected by those terrible events and especially those families and friends who lost loved ones.

Gwyn

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 6 Jul 2008 21:45

For my friend R, who died... remembering her, and all who died with her.

Also all those who were injured, or traumatised by the events of that day, their families and friends.
Love

Daff xxx

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 6 Jul 2008 21:52

My thoughts are with all who were affected by this terrible atrocity.

Jean x.

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 6 Jul 2008 22:37

Remembering everyone who was affected by the bombings.

Will never forget the day, it was my daughter's graduation day.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 6 Jul 2008 22:39

Remembering those who were lost or who lost someone.

Also remembering those who still have to live with the consequences of the bombers' actions. xx

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 6 Jul 2008 22:49

I will never forget that day. We were over in the UK and my OH wasnt sure where we were (he has stayed behind in Ireland). He couldnt get through on the phone to contact us or his brother or my b-i-l who worked in the affected areas. My sis had a big argument with her hubby that morning before he left for work and we couldnt get hold of him, it was an awful time. Thankfully we werent affected, but it was such a frightening day.

I cant believe it was 3 years ago.

My heart goes out to those affected by this atrocity.

love Theresa

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 7 Jul 2008 08:52

Remembering

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 7 Jul 2008 09:04

I remember that day well. My youngest had collapsed in class & school phoned to say they had called an ambulance.

Meanwhile I was on my way into London to collect OH as he had got stuck in London & couldn't get home !!!

OH was rushed to hospital in an ambulance on THE September 11th - so we don't like these days in our house !!!

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 7 Jul 2008 15:06

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7481580.stm
Ceremony remembers victims of 7/7
Hundreds of people crowded into King's Cross station to remember the 52 people killed in the 7/7 suicide bombings in London three years ago.

Minister for London Tessa Jowell and London Mayor Boris Johnson laid flowers there at 0850 BST, the time the first three bombs exploded. Survivors and friends also attended low-key services at the sites of the other three blasts.

Four bombers detonated bombs on three Tube trains and a bus in 2005. The four bombers set off on their terror campaign from King's Cross, before detonating devices near Russell Square, Aldgate and Edgware Road tube stations and on a bus in Tavistock Square.

On Monday morning the pavements around King's Cross were crammed with commuters as passers-by stopped to pay their respects. Mr Johnson laid a memorial card which said: "We honour the memory of those who died on 7/7 2005, we salute the courage of those who were injured and our thoughts and prayers are with all victims and their families."

Daniel Obachike, 34, from Finsbury Park, north London, was there to remember his best friend, Christian Small, who died in the blast. He said: "I was with Christian the morning before he died - and obviously today feels particularly poignant."
Survivor Jacqui Putnam, 57, was in the first carriage when the bomb went off in the second carriage of the train at King's Cross. She said: "I return every year to lay flowers. It's very important for me to be here. I don't want to be anywhere else on the 7th. The other people here today have become friends since."

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 7 Jul 2008 16:54

My memory of the day was travelling home from Liverpool, from my daughter's graduation. Signs on the M62 telling people to avoid London because there had been "an incident"

Brought back memories for my daughter too. She was living just outside Madrid at the time of the Madrid bombings.

leesle

leesle Report 7 Jul 2008 17:02

sending love and to let everyone know even strangers care

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 7 Jul 2008 22:35

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7492848.stm

Three years after losing her sister Miriam in the 7 July 2005 London bombings, Esther Hyman has travelled to India for the inauguration of a children's eye-care centre in Miriam's name. She describes the accomplishment born out of the loss of her sister.

Soon after losing Miriam "Mim" Hyman in the 7 July attacks, her loved ones felt the need to "do something", to create a constructive channel for our energies, to find positive ways to remember her and forge optimistic associations that don't dwell on the way we lost her. Initially we established a memorial fund within the eye-care charity Orbis UK, and planned to use the interest on funds raised to provide a few weeks' training annually, in London, for ophthalmologists from the developing world.

More recently we decided to set up the Miriam Hyman Memorial Trust and invest in a more tangible project.

Miriam discovered in her teens that she was short-sighted, and was overwhelmed at being able to see the leaves on trees when she first wore glasses. There was little in life that she took for granted and, as an artist, she was highly aware her enjoyment of nature and of art would have been greatly diminished without the sense of sight.

Three years between losing Miriam in the London bombings and opening the Miriam Hyman Children's Eye Care Centre in India - three years counteracting the devastating negativity and creating a living memorial that will benefit thousands.

Our activities in her memory have nurtured the seeds of caring and generosity that Miriam sowed during her lifetime, and those seeds will surely flourish under the auspices of the Miriam Hyman Children's Eye Care Centre.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 7 Jul 2008 23:57

can't believe it's 3 years gone

thinking of the bereaved and the survivors and their families and friends

thinking of all those caught up the events too, an ex-member here in particular

Maz. XX