General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nicknames

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

unsub

unsub Report 9 Jul 2008 13:08

I don't know if this is a purely Welsh thing - I've never heard of it where I live in England - but when I was growing up in Wales folks seemed to have a variety of brilliant nicknames.

My uncle was a milkman and was known as Will the milk.

When my Nan died, the funeral director was called John the Box, and the vicar who did her funeral service was called Dai the Book.

Anyone else know of any amusing nicknames?

xx

unsub

unsub Report 9 Jul 2008 13:22

I loved Ivor the Engine!

My younger cousins go to school with a Thomas Thomas. They call him Sat Nav (tom tom) lol.

xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2008 13:25

ever read or seen Under Milkwood - Dylan Thomas - lots of those kind of names in there

Don't think those nicknames are used so much these days here in Wales

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Jul 2008 13:28

my great grandad was known as 'old foz' I have no idea what it is/means
can anyone enlighten me

unsub

unsub Report 9 Jul 2008 13:29

I haven't read it - i'll look out for it though.

My gramps in Treharris has friends named Dai 6 kids and Dai Crackers but maybe it's just the older folk who use them now and it'll die out in the future. What a shame cuz they always make me smile.

xx

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 9 Jul 2008 13:30

My late fil had some funny nicknames for people.Some unprintable, but one I remember was
Collar and Cuffs. Seems he worked with this chap, and he always had his collar and cuffs on show.

Another relli of mine always blinked her eyes when talking, and was known as Blinkie. My OH Grandmother, was speaking to her and called her Mrs Blinkie, and this was not her name at all.

Mo

Easter Bunny

Easter Bunny Report 9 Jul 2008 13:59

our family always did the nickname thing
i.e. mrs church hat,mr happy(never smiled),mrs boiled shirts and suet puddings,chatty kathy,vinegar liz,jane ann teacake,johnny mac a too ta,My mam said she picked up the habit from her grandparents,perhaps it goes back much further lol
my nickname as a bairn,from mam was---funny front.
Paula xx

unsub

unsub Report 9 Jul 2008 14:09

I will have to have a look out for that. I would love to watch it again.

xx

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 9 Jul 2008 14:09

My mil nicknames everyone, my OH has picked up the habit, I'm Doris, my son is Sprat and my youngest is bow bow. Hasn't nick named the middle one tho???

Eeyore13

Eeyore13 Report 9 Jul 2008 14:22

Our local Undetakers(sadly the father has died)have always been known as:
Sid the Lid & Keith the Wreath.

Taff

Taff Report 9 Jul 2008 15:12

our local copper was called........
Dai, book and pencil!

unsub

unsub Report 9 Jul 2008 16:43

Brilliant! Eeyore, that made me laugh a lot.
And Taff, Dai, book and pencil - priceless.

My Grampy is somtimes referred to as Will Twice (William Williams) lol
xx

WhackyJackieInOz

WhackyJackieInOz Report 9 Jul 2008 17:02

I lived in Wales as a young girl and my Father owned a Pub.
Some of the locals that came in had unusual names

Dai the Bobby (Policeman)
Tommy One Cow (You guessed it he had one cow)
Idris the Milk
Davis the bread

In the Village we lived in everyone seemed to be related to everyone somewhere along the line also.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Jul 2008 06:06

Knowing of someone's nickname led me to another branch of the family.
Mum used to speak about Aunty Martha, but I couldn't account for her as I'd tracked all grandparents' siblings.
Martha's husband had a small horse-drawn vehicle and was known as 'Jones the brake' . I contacted the library in his home town for information and clues, which led me to extended family in a South Wales valley.

Gwyn

John

John Report 10 Jul 2008 10:38

well here goes some from wales . will 5 bricks.the man whos wife had been ill in bed for many years tommy up and down. the man who tried to breed rabbits austin deed rabbits.two sisters who never married the dusty maidens .

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Jul 2008 10:42

I just love Sid the Lid and Keith the Wreath - classic

In a Welsh choir - Dai top note