General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help with computor, is it real or a trick.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Jul 2008 13:05

My computor is fine when I sign on but every time my son sign's on it keep's saying Get Anti-virus 2009 & it auto.scans & say's he has all these infections, to clear it they say it cost x amount of $ but we're in England & you have to click Get Licence.
Is this a con, as wouldn't it come up on my name not just his??
If it's a con how do we stop it coming up???
Can anyone help please.
Jackie.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Jul 2008 13:24

Thank-you Sarah.

We have anti-virus with B.T. broadband but what I cannot understand is why my son only get's this warning to buy Anti-virus 2009 & I don't on the same computor, it's asking you to buy if for x amount of Dollars but we can't get rid of it & worried now.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Jul 2008 13:25

Thank's BPC,
How do I get rid of it please ???
Shall I delete his name/account & start him off again?

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 10 Jul 2008 14:25

AVG Free Edition is pretty good for picking up and isolating these things

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe Report 10 Jul 2008 14:58

~~ waves to all

Hi Jacqueline

Shimmer here hun.

Please do not download this, it mimics Windows, caused Shimmer mega problems. Tis dangerous, tis false, she now has Norton 2007, there are no problems yet antivirus will block everything, will tell you you have trojans and more just to frighten you.

It will say its free, tis not, you have to pay $75.00 or more ................

Shimmer will never ever touch it again, tis dreadful.
Cannot tell you what to do, just knows she was without her computer for days.

Take care my friend

xxx Shimmer xxx

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe Report 10 Jul 2008 15:02

Sorry, just re-read .........

You have to go into Windows Security, click internet (I think from memory), advanced, click enable scripts anywhere you see it. Took Shimmer ages to work that out, is like fighting a dragon, click and it reappears continuously.

Now has Norton 2007 but below that still the yellow bar from windows security which she has turned off, yet won't go off.

Hope this makes sense, was extremely complicated.

Have pmd you in case you do not see.

xxx Shimmer xxx

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 10 Jul 2008 22:30

We are now using Spybot for spyware and Comodo for antivirus. They are both free and were recommended to us by someone more expert than us.
The free AVG is being phased out and we decided not to upgrade to the paid version.

Sue

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jul 2008 13:37

Thank-you all so much & thank-you Shimmer for pm,I'll give it a try suppose it'll take me day's but gotta be done.
Jackie. xxxxxxx