General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ice cream vans

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:02

Just wanted to pick some brains,. We've had an ice cream van coming around every night this week around this time (8pm). playing music. We generally just get one on a weekend afternoon. Obviously there's no way my 2 younger children are going to get an ice cream at 8pm, but of course they hear the music and want one.
Does anyone know if there's any bylaws or similar that he's breaking? We don't think it's on. Any views?

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 11 Jul 2008 20:04

Hi Helen,

Ours comes most nights about 6, 8 does seem a bit late, dont know about bye laws though,

Caz x

Barrie

Barrie Report 11 Jul 2008 20:05

By law, ice cream vans are banned from playing their tunes before 12 noon and after 7pm.

Outside these hours, ice-cream sellers can only use a hand bell to let people know they are in the neighbourhood.

Otherwise they could be taken to court and fined for noise pollution
Barrie

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:06

It's only been this week. It's been lashing down all week too. lol you'd have thought he would come when it was sunny.

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥ Report 11 Jul 2008 20:06

ours comes every hour

since i promised the kids one on sunday the next tym it came and
its only ever been after 7

when there in bed grrrr
our last dingaling is usualy 830/9 o clock drives me mad

xxx

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:07

That's what we were wondering Barrie. Would it be the local council we would contact do you think?

Barrie

Barrie Report 11 Jul 2008 20:07

CBBC Newsround | ICE-CREAM | Ice-cream van lawIce-cream van law. By law, ice cream vans are banned from playing their tunes before 12 noon and after 7pm. Outside these hours, ice-cream sellers can only ...
news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/find_out/guides/tech/ice-cream/newsid_3530000/3530980.stm -

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:08

Stray, we always got one on a Sunday at 3pm, which was great. A nice treat for the kids.

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:09

Thanks very much Barrie. I'll have a look.

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥ Report 11 Jul 2008 20:09

well mine flounces the law everynyt
xxx

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:10

I mean, I know the guy has a living to make but this isn't on in my view. I wonder if he's got a job and just doing this on an evening.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 11 Jul 2008 20:12

I do what my dad did to me when I was a kid......I tell them that I recognise the tune and it's the guy that picks his nose and puts it in the icecream lolololol soon puts em off xx

Barrie

Barrie Report 11 Jul 2008 20:12

Ice Cream Vans

If you are bothered by noise from ice cream chimes, Environmental Health & Housing will investigate complaints of noise from vendors that do not follow the Cod of Practice.

Chimes should not sound:-

For longer than 4 seconds at a time - use an automatic cut out device
More often than once every 3 minutes
When the vehicle is stationary
Except on approach to a selling point
When in sight of another ice-cream van which is trading
When within 50 meters of schools (during school hours), hospitals, and places of worship (on Sundays and any other recognised days of worship)
More often than once every 2 hours in the same street
Louder than 80dB(A) at 7.5 meters (contact your local authority for advice)
It is an offence to sound chimes:-

Before 12 noon and after 19:00 hours
At any time in a way which gives a reasonable cause for annoyance
Barrie

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:15

Ta Barrie.

*Helen S

*Helen S Report 11 Jul 2008 20:20

Yeah, Muffy and then there's the old one when he only plays the music when there's no icecream left. lol

Maria

Maria Report 11 Jul 2008 20:22

Don't do what my mean old ex did and tell the kids that if the van is playing it's tune it's to let you know he's sold out for the day.

Boo.

Maria x

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 11 Jul 2008 20:22

Nice one Helen lol. I'll make a note of that for when the suss they bogie one out lol xx

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 11 Jul 2008 20:23

Ooops Broggy........that's me that is pmsl xx

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥ Report 11 Jul 2008 20:25

oh dear................iv spun my kids the same tale

if it plays a song they got none

am i mean :((

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 11 Jul 2008 20:33

If you are I am Stray lololol we'll get our karma for it .......... but we'll cope I'm sure lol xx