General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

~~Just curious to know...the strangest thing~~

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Jul 2008 17:02

during the war ate rabbit and pigeon regularly as well as pheasant and hare - not eaten any of that since though!

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 15 Jul 2008 16:51

The weirdest thing I ever ate was not my choice.

I was on holiday with another girl in Corsica and a waiter in the hotel offered to bring us a speciality cheese of the region for us to try.
I'd eaten a mouthful when my friend squealed because it was crawling with tiny white maggots.

I then noticed the French people on the tables around were laughing.........they'd seen the joke coming! What I felt annoyed about later was I have a friend whose mother was Corsican and I remembered that she'd told me about this delicacy some years before.

It tasted all right but I didn't go back for seconds!

Otherwise I think your tastes do change as you get older and some things you can eat as a kid you might not fancy later. I was happy to eat cockles as a child but tried some a few years ago and was disappointed.

Rabbit is fine. I wouldn't probably buy it here but I ate it happily in Belgium in one of their national dishes.

Sue

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 15 Jul 2008 16:36

Loved bunnies, and when war was on I was playing with them one day in hutches in the garden, and eating them a couple of days after.

Would love them now, but OH wont touch them, A lovely rabbit stew is delicous.

When I was a kid, we had pigs trotters, brawn, black pudding, oxtail, sheeps tongues. I liked the lot.

And Jellied Eels, LOVERLY,with chilli vinegar.

Mo

Carole

Carole Report 14 Jul 2008 18:12

I had alligator, it tasted of chicken with a salty flavor

*Ophelia.taking a break..*

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 14 Jul 2008 17:52

~~I did mean to say..if you have eaten sonething..`different`..could you please compare it to something we might know...I wouldnt like Pigeon..as I dont like Beef...lol

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 14 Jul 2008 17:52

I remember when I was on my french exchange when I was at school they gave me some meat but wouldn't say what it was.

Later on we went for a walk - passed the butchers - there hanging upside down - we bunnies ;-(((

They pointed to them & said thats what we ate.

Not very strange I know but not a nice to find out you have eaten a bunny rabbit :-(

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 14 Jul 2008 17:45

Had a croc steak in Florida ................

and had pigeon in Switzerland (just like beef really)

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 14 Jul 2008 17:16

~~things that are quite the `norm`...

Black pudding...(which is essentially pigs blood)
Haggis....(Sheeps intestine)
Tripe....(lining of stomach..of cows)
These are ALL delicacies of this country

Surely...eating Locusts is a breeze! ; )

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 14 Jul 2008 17:11

We were given brains when we were little................and brawn, made from boiling a pigs head.

*shudders at the memory*

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥

♥**♥Straykitten♥**♥ Report 14 Jul 2008 17:01

omg yous have eaten WHAT!!!!!!!

I once put duck in my mouth to try it but couldnt bring myself to chew or swallow it

thats as excotic as i go lol

luv
stray
xxx

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 14 Jul 2008 16:56

I guess..if you are hungry enough..any thing goes!
what do goats brain taste of?
I dont think I could eat anything that was `crunchy`..

TOR

TOR Report 14 Jul 2008 16:48

Crocodile, snake, locust, elephant, whale, seal, kangaroo, goats brain, dog

and they're the ones we managed to identify. ;o))

Had a problem with chicken feet in China - supposed to be a delicacy - but just couldn't bring myself to suck on them.

T.O.R. ;o))

Easter Bunny

Easter Bunny Report 14 Jul 2008 16:19

my mam was given porridge with brown sauce on for breakfast when she was staying with a friend,years ago----yuk

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 14 Jul 2008 16:17

Never tried it....not really much opportunity here for it LOL

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 14 Jul 2008 16:15

mopane caterpillars, zebra, giraffe, elephant, ostrich, warthog, kangaroo....

Can't think of anything I wouldn't eat if I was hungry enough.

I read about a guy shipwrecked in the Altlantic for I think 3 months - he was catching fish and knew that their eyes were a source of fresh water....:-)

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 14 Jul 2008 16:10

any of you have ever eaten....
Crocadile..for me...

anything you wouldnt consider eating?.....for me...would have to be any eyeball..of any shape..or description...EEEEeeekkk!!...lol

Quishy....Quoshy...liquidy...