General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the Irish will have to vote again:do you agree?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 17 Jul 2008 10:19

Irish ministers have reacted robustly to the French president's remark that the Republic of Ireland should hold a new referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.
European Affairs Minister Dick Roche said "it is far, far too early to be talking about a referendum or about some specific policy to go forward".
Foreign Minister Micheal Martin said Ireland would not be bullied.
Mr Sarkozy will visit Dublin on Monday, seeking a way ahead after Irish voters rejected the EU treaty on 12 June.
France currently holds the EU's six-month rotating presidency and is keen to resolve the Lisbon Treaty stumbling block before its presidency ends.
Mr Sarkozy was quoted as saying "the Irish will have to vote again". He was speaking to deputies from his conservative UMP party in Paris on Tuesday.

For full article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7509374.stm

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jul 2008 10:22

No I don't agree they should have to vote again, a vote is a vote. Sounds like bullying to me.

However if they do have to hold another vote, i hope the result is the same, to show the French that Ireland wont be bullied.

Ann
Glos

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 17 Jul 2008 10:26

Knowing the Irish nature, they will not be bullied. If they have to vote again, the results will be even more robust. Quite right too. BC XX

BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Report 17 Jul 2008 10:27

This is democracy, Europe-style: keep voting until we get the result we want... if not, then we shall make you pay!

Remind you of anyone in Africa...?

Jenxx

Jenxx Report 17 Jul 2008 10:32

reminds me of the welsh assembly
change the rules to get what they want
No the Irish should not have to vote again
Jenxx

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 17 Jul 2008 11:23

There was some talk about the argument put forward for the treaty was worded in such a way that the Irish voters would vote against it........and therefore they were going to put it forward again, this time re-worded.....

......in plain English, we will keep putting it forward until we get the result we want....

Also one of the reasons put forward for us NOT having the referendum on the E.E.C. this referendum was promised to us by our government....was that it would be too costly.....they have gone back on their word.....

If it is too costly for us to have a referendum, why is it not the same for Ireland.....

My belief that the EEC is run by unelected politicians for their own benefit......and is corrupt....

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 17 Jul 2008 11:26

Well, good old UK has just ratified the Lisbon treaty.... I can't remember voting on it? Cos I wouldn't have.....

Stick to yer principles Ireland.... there is no way that they should have another referendum..... as someones has already said, stinks of some of the more corrupt regimes we hear about.

Love

Daff xxx

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 17 Jul 2008 11:28

What part of *NO* do the EU have a problem with?

Wish we'd had a chance to vote on it though xx

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 17 Jul 2008 11:33

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7511281.stm

Muffy we were supposed to... it was one of the so called promises this bunch of *CENSORED* made.

I am absolutely fuming..... it has barely hit the news.... BBC have it, and it was briefly on Yahoo, but the fact that Madge wants Britney and Justin to go on tour with her has more impact it would seem, lol!!

Love

Dafff

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 17 Jul 2008 11:44

Daff, do you think the MOD doubling compensation the same day as UK ratifying the treaty is a coincidence?

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 17 Jul 2008 11:51

Lesley..... you have read my mind!! And of course, Mr Darling only yesterday announced that they are suspending the 2p extra tax on fuel...... just before this came out, and just before an important by-election.... and with a public-sector strike in full flow!!

It all stinks, it really does....

Love

Daff xxxx

GI YID

GI YID Report 17 Jul 2008 11:53

S R S.....................very good point.

Glynisxxx

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 17 Jul 2008 12:19

Well spotted Daff and Secret!......good news put out to hide what is really going on behind the scenes......

....one thing governments seem to be good on....

.•:*:•. Devishly Angelic Juliecat & Panda..•:*:•.

.•:*:•. Devishly Angelic Juliecat & Panda..•:*:•. Report 17 Jul 2008 12:26

Muffy: What part of *NO* do the EU have a problem with?

The bit that goes against what the EU want.

Langie Liz: If the Irish have already voted, why is it necessary for them to vote again?

Because they voted 'no' when the EU wanted a 'yes' answer.

(Couldn't be bothered c&p ing the full posts lol)

So much for democracy.

Deanna

Deanna Report 17 Jul 2008 12:27

A vote is an opinion... they asked the people their opinion, and they said NO!

What so they want to do, repeat it weekly until they get what they think is the right answer?
I think it is bullying too.

Deanna X

BrianW

BrianW Report 17 Jul 2008 16:00

Why is "Yes" final and "No" subject to a re-run?

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 17 Jul 2008 17:57

I agree,,,,why don't politicians just hold votes every week until they get the responses that they want?

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 17 Jul 2008 18:02

The awful thing about it was they said they did not think the Irish fully understood what they were being asked (?????).......that they would have to re-word it to get the correct (?) message across.....

.......plain English......Irish people are too thick to understand that we are asking them to vote yes...

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 17 Jul 2008 23:09

Just saw this i voted no because like some other people i thought that they just want to line their own pockets and am annoyed that the French President now wantsus to vote again.Why? when it was put in (2005) as the EU Referendum to France and Holland to vote on they both rejected it, i have heard that talk that if we have to vote again then we will only vote if France and Holland do the same.
Betty.