General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Counselling...who has found it helpful?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 22 Jul 2008 20:32

Please pm if you dont want to post,

Caz xxx

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 22 Jul 2008 20:33

A close relative of mine did.............talking things over with an impartial stranger really helped her get through a horrible time.

She could really speak from the heart without worrying about upsetting anyone.

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 22 Jul 2008 20:37

yes , I did when my daughter had her concealed pregnancy, Ros xx

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 22 Jul 2008 20:40

Thanks Ros, Kitty and Maz,

I have accessed the work counsellor, had the first one today, just to off load I hope will help,

Caz xx

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 22 Jul 2008 20:40

i tried it long time ago thru my gp, it was awful, i felt like i was answering my own questions
and at the end of it the first and only session his only in put was to right down the names of self help books,
i went to one about 2 year ago at a local church, it was good, id have gone again but decided i couldnt do all the work my self all the time, it took two for the help i needed (if you know what i mean by that,)
so i didnt go again, tho that one session she helped a lot, she put things in prospective for me and offered good advice which was what i wanted, i didnt want to talk at someone i wanted to talk with,

saying that my doctor has said anytime i wana talk i can see him

how was your day caz

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 22 Jul 2008 20:41

Caz we have spoken about this before but I can honestly say that if it had not been for the councelling I recieved I would not be the person I am today.

It really helped speaking to someone who I knew apart from the councelling sessions I would not see again and I could pour all my innermost feeling out to him without worrying about hurting someone with what I said.

You know where I am if you need to talk hun xx

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 22 Jul 2008 20:43

Julie , thanks love, we each know where we are coming from, I felt like total crap at teatime today, the atmosphere was just awful, Thanks you are a good mate,

Jax, love how good to see you, I would love a chat soon,

Caz xxx

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 22 Jul 2008 20:46

I had counselling once with PND, it was a man, 4th baby was a few weeks old, I was breast feeding. he was off that id brought the baby and then suggested munchausens as i said i felt I was using my brain when Will was ill in hospital at 3 weeks, i NEVER went back. We once had couple counselling which was very good but ended when OH was sent abroad,

Caz xx

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 22 Jul 2008 20:54

I just remembered something Chis my councellor said to me when i was feeling like chucking in the sessions.

Talking about your feelings maybe hard and painful and it may take a bit of time to get all the feelings out but it took a long time and alot of hurt to need the sessions so it can take a long time to free yourself from it but you deserve the opportunity to put the past behind you and move on.

Sue

Sue Report 22 Jul 2008 20:57

Counselling with a psychologist was a waste of time (he had the fixation on my father/childhood not me). That was in my mid 20s.

When I had the breakdown in 2004 my GPs were fantastic - but I was lucky to have them 'on call' and no time restraints when I had appointments. If I needed to rant for 45 minutes that what I did.

I think as soon as you find someone you feel you can trust you will be half way there.

Love Sue xx

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 22 Jul 2008 20:59

its hard caz to relive all your feelings tho their in your head
its saying um out loud isnt it,
last night i haad nightmares, i didnt bother mentioning it to OH cos he laughs, he said before i might of known it involved me!
i wake up feeling like punching him, lmao
not good move when he just got in from nightshift, lol

Jane

Jane Report 22 Jul 2008 21:27

It was the best thing I did.
I could PM it but think this may help peeps.
Long story but
My Best friends husband was having affair with secretary.It took my friend months to realise .
She went totally off the rails .Drink, fags.Smashing Hubby's car up all sorts.She lost the plot.I supported her for 3 years.Too many things to say.One day she collapsed ,hospitilised,cardiac arrest and died!!!!!.I had so much anger with her OH
because I blamed him for her dying.In the end my OH said he could not put up with me like I
was and told me I had to get councelling.(he is a GP).I went and after the first session I felt so much better .He somehow taught me to realise that I had to think in a different way and that my anger with her OH would really was a waste of time as I could not change what happened.I had 6 sessions and have never looked back.
What was the worst bit was we had to basically take over the emotional care of her kids.
People think going for councelling if something to be ashamed of .IT IS NOT.It is better to see someone who is not connect to your problems.That way you don't burden close ones with your problems.(they may be too close)
Hope I haven't rambled on too long.

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 22 Jul 2008 21:32

Thanks helen, Sue, Julie, Jax,

I am determined to keep it going,

Caz xxx

Carole

Carole Report 23 Jul 2008 07:28

Caz you probably know I am seeing a psychologist.
It has helped me in so much as pin pointing why I have the problems I have. Now I can start to work on making it better. I know it will get harder before it gets better, but look forward to normal life what ever that is xxx

Any time you feel you want to talk I'm here for you xx

JustJean

JustJean Report 23 Jul 2008 08:00

Hi, Caz. p,m,sent

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 23 Jul 2008 08:16

I'm seeing a counsellor/psychologist later today.
Second meeting.
Because of my arthritis...its getting me down..and Im far from friends and whats left of my family..I get the feeling Im alone.
I have my partner...but it's not the same.
Not sure it will help. As I have always been unlucky..and have always been a pessimist.
I guess it helps some..but I really don't think it's for me.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 23 Jul 2008 08:21

The proof...
I love cycling..and loved cycling when I was able.
My favourite sporting event is The Tour De France.
It's on now...And today is my favourite stage of the whole tour!.

Yet...I will miss it....because I HAVE TO GO SEE PSYCHOLOGIST!!!...AAAAHHHHHHHH!

Yes I could record it...but it's just not the same as seeing it live as it happens.

TYPICAL!