General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Your surname and geographical locations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 22 Jul 2008 22:21

Follow the link and pop your surname in, it will keep you quiet for 5 mins...lol

http://surname.sofeminine.co.uk/w/surnames/surname-brown

Sue (I used Brown as an example)

Margaret Ashburton NZ

Margaret Ashburton NZ Report 22 Jul 2008 22:32

didmt take 5 min Only 3149th most commom name No wonder I dont find many rellies!

Sue

Sue Report 22 Jul 2008 22:33

That makes you special then Margaret :-)))..lol

xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jul 2008 22:35

*sob* not enough data for my maiden name - but I know it originated in Dorset and there are a few in Essex, hampshire (my bro for one!!) and sussex.
I was amazed to see that the majority with the same surname as my ex are in the Highlands of Scotland when I know his ancestors lived in Hampshire for generations!!!

Sue

Sue Report 22 Jul 2008 22:39

My hubby's surname is 6968th but that is with his unusual spelling. If the Scottish form is put in we become 1400th.

My Lightfoot lot all seem to be geographically correct according to my searching.

Sue

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Jul 2008 22:45

Checked 5 surnames and only 1 listed

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 22 Jul 2008 23:15

My maiden name is 6,241th on the list and from notts but most of my line are from sussex and kent

OH name not listed

Yvonne

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 22 Jul 2008 23:23

Bottom of the class

ROVERY
Sorry, your search didn't return any results because we don't have enough data for this surname (nonexistent or less than 1300 records).

Mrs.  Blue Eyes

Mrs. Blue Eyes Report 22 Jul 2008 23:25

mine is 6167th not too many to check then..lol

GirlFromOz

GirlFromOz Report 22 Jul 2008 23:31

72nd most common in GB!!

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 22 Jul 2008 23:44

My surname doesnt exist either!

It's great to be above the common herd - lol!

xxxx mick

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 22 Jul 2008 23:46

my married name is 240th most common in Great Britain and there are 34 628 people in Great Britain with the same name.
My maiden name is 113rd most common and there are 63 239 who share it.

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 22 Jul 2008 23:48

I am blessed with a lot of uncommon names in my tree.
That geographical distribution is pretty spot on for my people!

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 22 Jul 2008 23:58

My Maiden Name ....Sorry, your search didn't return any results because we don't have enough data for this surname (nonexistent or less than 1300 records).
lol!! A very Welsh Rarebit, me!!

Married name.... In Great Britain : 147 540 people share the surname ............ according to our estimation
The surname ........... is the 31th most common name in Great Britain.

mmmmmmm I think hubby is not so rare.... very well done, actually, pmsl!!

And he is the one who brings all the other dead common names to the tree as well, grrrrrr!!

Love

Daff xxx

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 23 Jul 2008 00:06

I search for my father's and mother's surnames - and also got......

Sorry, your search didn't return any results because we don't have enough data for this surname (nonexistent or less than 1300 records).

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Jul 2008 04:44

There are only 7717 people with my surname in the country and lots of them are in Essex and Hampshire.
It is 1381th most common name lol

Lizx