General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

More Hospital Talk.....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Jul 2008 12:55

I will probably have to undergo surgery soon for a spinal injury.

I have the choice of going private on the insurance or getting paid for having it done on the NHS.

I am pretty much tempted to go private, but wondered what the comparison is to the NHS.

By this I mean things like visiting - are there set visiting times for NHS wards? I would like someone to be there when I come round, as they do in a private ward.

On previous occasions, my ex stayed at the hospital (private) and was able to come and go as she pleased. (or as I pleased!)

Meals - is there a menu in NHS wards?

Are NHS wards mixed sex now?

Are you put into a private room or a ward after major surgery?

etc etc.

In other words, advantages v disadvantages of private/NHS

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 23 Jul 2008 12:57

I would say the difference is like Day and Night well here in Scotland anyway not sure about England though.

Betty

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 23 Jul 2008 13:11

If you can go Private without it costing you then please do it as it would free up a NHS bed for someone who doesn't have insurance.

Diana
x

Mrs.  Blue Eyes

Mrs. Blue Eyes Report 23 Jul 2008 13:13

Eldrick are you kidding me, you can go private without paying and you're asking if you should...you're avin a larf aint ya??

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Jul 2008 13:14

I appreciate the sentiment, but I have to say that isn't part of the equation for me, sorry.

I can understand why you say it, however.

Tina-Marie

Tina-Marie Report 23 Jul 2008 13:14

NHS for me... tried and tested.
Visiting is controlled in NHS,, but do you really want 100's of people there when feeling yuk? You run out of things to talk about... well you might not! lol

Meals... debateable.. probably all comes from 3663 whatever you have.

Most hospitals try to keep separate sex on the wards, but if there are no other beds... that snoring one might just be your neighbour.

I should think after major surgery you will be in a secluded bit of the ward if not a room on your own.

Good luck with whatever you decide and with the surgery.

Tina x

Peipal

Peipal Report 23 Jul 2008 13:15

Eldrick

Private mate, when my wife had her op on her arm she had a room of her own and visiting was as and when unless doctors where doing rounds

and they are a lot cleaner

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Jul 2008 13:15

No, lol - if I choose to go NHS I get a pay out from the insurance company - its up to me to decide which to do.

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 23 Jul 2008 13:20

Ahhhh.....

So is it important to you on speed of the op? You'll not be on a waiting list if you go privately!!

Having done both..... I'd say private as I'm not really into strangers (other patients and visitors) seeing me laying in bed!

Julia

Julia Report 23 Jul 2008 13:20

Eldrick - I was recently taken as an emergency patient to an acute NHS ward in the DRI Derby. There was a menu, but if I had to stay any length of time I would have had to send for supplies. The ward had a corridor with rooms/bays off, and I could see men in bed in one of them, but the area I was in was only female. The nursing staff are both sexes.
But I suppose it varies from area to area. My proscribed gall bladder op. will cost me about £4500, if I go private, and have no insurance. Good Luck anyway.
Julia in Derbyshire

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 23 Jul 2008 13:23

Hi Eldrick,

Do you know how long you will have to be on the waiting list to have your operation done on the NHS?

Betty

*Ophelia.taking a break..*

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 23 Jul 2008 13:31

Ummmm...spinal injury..you will be on your back for a while then?...
I have worked in both private and NHS..and yes..private...wise you have an en suite bathroom..a champange breakfast..(if you so wish)..an amazing menu..a nurse maiden at your beck and call..
You will still receive the same treatment..surgerywise..(as many consultants go freelance into private)...But I would hope you would go NHS..because it is second to non..in many ways..(menus..a bit like school dinners mind you)..The nurse/patient ratio in private is.. 2:1....whereas..NHS..more 10:1..(if youre lucky)..I have paid into my national insurance for a reason..and I would go NHS..everytime..

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Jul 2008 13:32

Go private Eldrick,,,

Our rellie has just had knee op 6 weeks ago ,,own room,tip top conditions,fast and good after care, no restrictions on visitors,,,,,,,,,,they have the next kneee done on on 12 th August,,no waiting,,mind it was over 8grand each knee,,the went private because a sister died of MRSA, caught from NHS hospital..but now they have been private they will always go that way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Jul 2008 13:42

Dont get me wrong, I've got nothing but admiration for the NHS - as far as I'm concerned it is the best state healthcare in the entire world, and I've seen some in other countries, believe me!

I am told there will be a 6 week wait for the op on the NHS - already had all the scans and stuff done privately, and can pick and choose when I go, as has been mentioned.

I will probably leave it until later in the year, as there are various reasons I dont want to be hospitalised at the moment,

But I think my mind is pretty much made up - private.

As many visitors as I want, lol - I wish!

SallyF

SallyF Report 23 Jul 2008 13:43

I had my wisdom teeth out privately the firm I worked for had a free BUPA plan so I used it about 2 months before I left the company. It was like a 5 star hotel compared to the NHS, yet the bloke who did the op was also the NHS surgeon for it.
Obviously not an overly serious op but the surroundings made it a very easy couple of days.

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 23 Jul 2008 13:49

~~When I did work for Bupa..not long qualified..and worked private..obviously most ops..are pretty much mainstream..knees..hips..ryynoplasies..implants/enlargements..(you get my gist!)..many nurses are not so `geared` up..for acute medical emergencies..(like we see on a daily basis..in NHS)..personnel working on ethos..that all patients are `well`..when they do take a turn for worse..well..say no more..

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 23 Jul 2008 13:52

I spent three nights last week as an emergency at a well known NHS teaching hospital. It was a mixed sex ward but it didn't bother me, the attention I received was second to none, food was disgusting but who cares, and my immediate family were allowed in at any time. I also had a bed beside the window and could look at the boats going up and down the canal. Good luck in whichever you choose. BC XX

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 23 Jul 2008 14:00

~~And I would like to add..I prefer working in a NHS hospital..compared to a private hospital...It is more challenging..as a nurse..you learn skills..(you lose in private.)..You meet patients that are `salt of the earth`...the atmosphere in NHS is more stimulating..you can `banter` with the patients..and `share` jokes...Yes it must be nice to have the luxury of private..but I am proud of the NHS..and for what it stands for..

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 23 Jul 2008 14:17

Oh it sounds like the English NHS hospitals are far far better than in Scotland then from what I read on this thread.

Betty

SallyF

SallyF Report 23 Jul 2008 14:20

I had both my kids in NHS hospitals and couldn't for one minute have been happier or well cared for (apart from a consultant). The main difference was that compared to the private it was very busy, crowded at times and there was always noise. Whereas in the private hospital it was a lot more peaceful due to me having a room totally to myself.