General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Childhood pranks

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 27 Jul 2008 10:12

I posted on a thread yesterday about silly/naughty things that my children have said or done over the years

what silly or naughty things did you or you children say/do?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jul 2008 10:23

Don't know about silly - more downright dangerous - but I didn't realise it at the time.
When I was about 10, we lived in Mevagissey.
A group of us used to go down to the beach and jump off the cliffs ont tohe beach!!
One day I was at the beach with my parents, when two climbers got stuck half way up the very same cliff we used to jump off and the helicopter was called.
I said (in all innocence) 'If they jumped to the left, they'd avoid the rocks below them'.
Dad asked what I meant and I said that when we jumped off the top, we always went to the left.

I was forbidden from ever doing it again and grounded!!
Went back as an adult - 'gulp' - it IS high!!!

maggie

Debbie

Debbie Report 27 Jul 2008 10:34

hi Maggie

As kids we just don't see the danger in these things. I'm not surprised you were grounded, bet you worried your parents.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jul 2008 10:36

when my son was about four he rushed in from the garden panic-stricken - I've swallowed my chewing gum!!! He thought he was about to die!!!

passing a pub which had a cart outside filled with flowers - he said "Oh look Mum, a horses wheelbarrow"

the worst was the day when he asked me if he could see the hole he came out of - I glossed over that one!!!

Debbie

Debbie Report 27 Jul 2008 10:40

Hi Ann

We did grow up being told not to swallow the gum because it would stick to your heart/lungs no wonder we thought we were going to die if we accidently swallowed it.lol

Debbie

Debbie Report 27 Jul 2008 10:46

bet he smelt nice though pauline,lol

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 27 Jul 2008 10:48

....When I was growing up we had a big drill hall behind our house........it was a large piece of ground that was all over grown. We ( brother and I ) used to climb in through a hole in the fence and make huts in the grass.
There was a house within the site that "the man" lived in( care taker I suppose ).
One day my brother went right over the other side and I and other brother was left on guard to shout if "the man" was spotted............my big brother whispered " shout the man is coming"........which I did.........I have never forgotton the sight of my panic stricken brother trying to climb the hugh fence,slipping,getting up and over............when he came home is was covered in stinging nettle rash.....I felt really guilty.............lol

Ann..........I'm so glad my kids have never asked me that one..........lol lol lol

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Jul 2008 10:52

yes ,standing on the inside of train tunnel while a train thundered by, !! shudder at the thought ,,,,,its a wonder we wasnt killed,

swinging on rope across the river and dropping in,,,,,!

and riding 3/4 to a bike on the road,,,,,,,,,,!

mind I just went along with my big bro;}}}he led me astray,,,,,,,but we did get up to some dangerous stuff looking back,,,,,,

Debbie

Debbie Report 27 Jul 2008 10:52

Hi Amanda

your poor brother, bet you laugh about it now though

Debbie

Debbie Report 27 Jul 2008 10:54

Hi Kay - bet you never admitted to doing those things to your parents.lol

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 27 Jul 2008 10:56

I'll have to remind him next time I see him GG........bet he dosen't laugh.........lol

There was a goat in the drill hall called Annabell, she would butt you if she could sneak up you.....she escaped once and eat several lines of washing up and down the road..........lol.

Blue Moon

Blue Moon Report 27 Jul 2008 10:57

I remember a story my mum told me .......

My mum and her brother were being looked after by there grand father one day,
they were in the kitchen (quarry tiled floor),their grand father had just finished a night shift,he was sitting at the table with his mug of tea and trying to read the paper,it was no good he fell a sleep on the kitchen chair.

They soon got bored and decided to play cowboys and Indians,they rubbed their fingers on the coal to blacken them then made stripes across there cheeks,found some feather that had fell out of the birds cage,stuck them in there hair,and tied a ribbon around there heads.

They went in to the kitchen cupboard and got a rope out (replacement one for the rack/clothes dryer),they tied one end to the chair leg and then wound it round and round there grand father,he never disturbed once,
not satisfied at that,they got his news paper screwed it up put it under the chair,got some sticks from the side of the fire,placed them on the paper then did the same with some coal.............then they lit the paper.

Mum said what followed is a bit of a blur.........

the chair started smoking,
grand father woke up,
grand father swearing,
grand father shuffling around the kitchen on smoking chair,
front door opening,
her and her brother hiding in the cupboard,
there mother coming in and chucking mug of tea over the fire on the kitchen floor.

Mum said it took her mum about half an hour to find them....lol

Debbie

Debbie Report 27 Jul 2008 11:00

my youngest brother was annoying us on a saturday morning we all liked to watch tiswas, but he was up the telly pressing the button for swapshop. so we all grabbed him took his pj bottoms off and shoved him out the front door, he had to run all round the block naked to get into the back garden.

I'm sure he laughs when we remind him.lol

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Jul 2008 11:08

GG we just played, :}}},,,hes few years older than me and I was by his side 24/7 in the holidays, and weekends ,,,,,,,what he and his mates did us girls just followed the lead,,,,,,,,he tried to get rid of me one day by pushing me off a 6ft wall,,the other side !!! ,but I soon found him and got a thrashing off him for not going home and following them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ha ha,,,,,:]]]

Lucky we had something on each other for stuff we had done like nicking apples,,,,!! so neither would dare split to parents,,

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 27 Jul 2008 11:10

My brother and I once decided to put on every coat in the house.........and stuff our selves with cushions.
We ended up so fat looking that if we fell over we couldn't get back up and rolled around like beetles on our backs ,waving our arms and legs about........Mum found this SO funny that she actually wet herself laughing..........we even went out side like it and jumped about on the pavement,which was a bit daft really as a man that was driving past nearly crashed his car.......he was open mouthed and gawping at us............lol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jul 2008 13:53

I am the youngest of 4, my sister is 4 years older than me, my 2 brothers 6 & 7 years older. As my brothers went to boarding school, during term time, my sister looked after me when mum was working. During the holidays it was the turn of my brothers.....
My sister was bad enough at trying to get rid of me - When I was 5/6 we ived on a caravan park by the sea at Lossimouth. There swings that were once a long way from the edge of a quarry. Over a few short years, the edge of the quarry (it was sandy) had eroded, meaning that if you jumped high enough off the swings, you rolled down the edge of the quarry.
My sister encouraged me to swing as high as possible and jump!!! Which I did - and thoroughly enjoyed it.
My brothers used to take me caving - then 'lose' me!!
One Christmas holiday, the younger one decided to take me canoeing in the 'pond' - more like a small lake. The pond was frozen and I refused to get into the canoe with him. He went ahead on his own.
The canoe went through the ice - that's okay, it floats - but as it was a very old canvas canoe, the ice also ripped the canvas - brother started sinking.
I just left him and wandered off back home.
I never told my parents what had happened, but a very wet & cold brother appeared an hour later!!!

maggie

Jane

Jane Report 27 Jul 2008 14:22

When I was 18 and working in Greece as a nanny,it was my day off and the kids locked me in the bathroom!!!!I was there for hours.Little B*****s

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 27 Jul 2008 21:07

Shelly...........lol............my brother did the same thing........my Mum had to stick his tongue under the running tap to free him.........what a berk.......lol

ginqueen

ginqueen Report 27 Jul 2008 21:30

When my little sis was a baby - me, my brother, and my big sis dressed up my doll in frilly clothes and threw the doll through the bedroom window. As the doll flew passed the living room window (where my mother was sitting) we screamed that Alison (kid sis) had fallen out through the window. I can still see my mother vaulting over the table to this day :)

She was so angry that she locked us in the bedroom and gave the key to our neighbour until she calmed down.

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Jul 2008 00:02

I keep having to go back and read the bit about Ann's son wanting to see the hole he came out of and now my side hurts.
Dad and his brother tied trousers and jacket together and dropped it from the upstairs window.
We used to sit in the road when the bus was coming and the last one up was the winner.
Drawing pins on the hammers of the school piano give it a kind of honky-tonk sound I am reliably informed hem hem.