General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sketches of the Fair Sex, in All Parts of the Worl

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peipal

Peipal Report 28 Jul 2008 15:42

This is an excert from the book written in 1841 lol, dunno how the PC brigade would view it these days lololol

SALE OF A WIFE.

In England, the sale of a wife sometimes occurs, even at the present day, of which the following is an example, from the Lancaster Herald.

“Sale of a wife at Carlisle—The inhabitants of this city lately witnessed the sale of a wife by her husband, Joseph Thompson, who resides in a small village about three miles distant, and rents a farm of about forty-two or forty-four acres. She was a spruce, lively, buxom damsel, apparently not exceeding twenty-two years of age, and appeared to feel a pleasure at the exchange she was about to make. They had no children during their union, and that, with some family disputes, caused them by mutual agreement to come to the resolution of finally parting. Accordingly, the bellman was sent round to give public notice of the sale, which was to take place at twelve o’clock; and this announcement attracted the notice of thousands. She appeared above the crowd, standing on a large oak chair, surrounded by many of her friends, with a rope or halter, made of straw, round her neck, being dressed in rather a fashionable country style, and appearing to some advantage. The husband, who was also standing in an elevated position near her, proceeded to put her up for sale, and spoke nearly as follows:—‘Gentlemen, I have to offer to your notice my wife, Mary Anne Thompson, otherwise Williamson, whom I mean to sell to the highest and fairest bidder. It is her wish as well as mine to part for ever. I took her for my comfort, and the good of my house, but she has become my tormentor and a domestic curse, &c. &c. Now I have shown you her faults and failings, I will explain her qualifications and goodness. She can read fashionable novels and milk cows; she can laugh and weep with the same ease that you can take a glass of ale; she can make butter, and scold the maid; she can sing Moore’s melodies, and plait her frills and caps; she cannot make rum, gin, or whiskey, but she is a good judge of their quality from long experience in tasting them, I therefore offer her, with all her perfections and imperfections, for the sum of fifty shillings.’—After an hour or two, she was purchased by Henry Mears, a pensioner, for the sum of twenty shillings and a Newfoundland dog. The happy pair immediately left town together, amidst the shouts and huzzas of the multitude, in which they were joined by Thompson, who, with the greatest good-humor imaginable, proceeded to put the halter, which his wife had taken off, round the neck of his Newfoundland dog, and then proceeded to the first public house, where he spent the remainder of the day.”

Taff

Taff Report 28 Jul 2008 16:22

So a good time was had by all then Steve? lol

Bev

Bev Report 28 Jul 2008 16:23

omg

do not let my husband see this

it is outlawed now? right?

Peipal

Peipal Report 28 Jul 2008 16:27

lol looks that way taff

tho by the description of the woman the old bloke would be having a great time lmao

Peipal

Peipal Report 28 Jul 2008 16:27

Bev

Errrrrrrrrrr dunno

>>>>>>>>> rushes off to check hahahaha

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 28 Jul 2008 16:37

Steve
if ya check and i can be sold can ya mail the info to N for me please

lmaoooooooooooo

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 28 Jul 2008 16:39

I think that was such a sensible thing to do! Much nicer than getting bored, divorcing, and all that hassle. Just sell! Simple!! pmsl BC XXX

Peipal

Peipal Report 28 Jul 2008 16:46

Jax me ikkle flower no probs hell i will ring him with the info lmaooooooooooooooo

Taff

Taff Report 28 Jul 2008 16:47

but could women sell their husbands as well?

Peipal

Peipal Report 28 Jul 2008 16:47

BC My love i aggree

and much more fun as well me thinks

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

what a good idea for a web site

www.sellyawife.com

pmsl

Bev

Bev Report 28 Jul 2008 16:48

its ok

my oh says no one could afford me