General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

asylum help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Taff Report 31 Jul 2008 08:23

Lee, I suggest you get some sleep.


Eldrick Report 29 Jul 2008 10:25

No, you will have to contact the records office by email and ask for their help - they will do a search for a fee and email you copies of any information they find.


Einir Report 29 Jul 2008 10:23

can i access british records from australia for asylums ?


Einir Report 29 Jul 2008 10:18

i live in australia the asylum is in london, im very new at this what is A2A website?


Eldrick Report 29 Jul 2008 10:03

Get his death certificate ( if its post 1837) and it will tell you when he died, where he died and who notified the death.

You can then go to the records office and look for the asylum records. It may be that the local health authority still have them, but the records office will be able to tell you that.

You won't get them online. The records office may not release them if they are less than 100 years old.

You can search most RO catalogues online, or via the A2A website, to see if they hold the asylum records.


Lorraine Report 29 Jul 2008 09:50

the local records office hold records for workhouses and asylums, so they would be the 1st place to try

what area are you looking for


Einir Report 29 Jul 2008 09:48

hiya i would like some help on how to get records from asylums? i know where and around when and his name and roughly age and when he died but i dont know how to go about getting asylum records or even if its possible
thanks much