General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who still has family over

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 Aug 2008 12:43

For Sunday lunch or do you go to family........

When my children were babies and my sisters had young children we always went to me mams on Sunday or each others houses for sunday lunch and I do miss these meet ups.... My Oh works shifts so if he is home we normally go out for the day, if he working late he doesnt like a meal just a snack....so today I shall cook...again thats twice in one week...lol

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 3 Aug 2008 12:45

We used to do that too. Sunday was the one day I made everyone sit down to lunch...it was family day. The kids could go to their mates any other day, but not Sunday. That was we had rellies over, or we went there or just sat down together as a family.

I miss that...but pleased to say my son does the same now.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 Aug 2008 12:48

I miss it too Teresa.....dont get me wrong I enjoy the peace and quiet and being able to please myself but I do miss family get togethers.....even with my own son as they work all the hours and I understand they want to chill or just do what they like as well....

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 3 Aug 2008 12:57

Certainly does Linda, and those times when family can be all together under one roof are few and far between.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 Aug 2008 12:57

Too true Linda.....even on xams day OH was working so we had lunch at 1pm....my son and dil went off to visit il family and my other 2 went to their dads....I was alone till about 7pm then invited round to my sisters it was a nice day....but people are horrified even on here when I said I was aone...

Deanna

Deanna Report 3 Aug 2008 13:06

My husband often cooks extra, and son and his girlfriend come.
Often, they just take it home with them and eat it in their own time.
We eat at 12.00 /12.30, which is a bit early for them. today will be later.... I'm starving now!! ;-0(

I LOVED when they all came with their friends and my table was full of youngsters chatting and laughing... miss it all.
Deanna X

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Aug 2008 13:38

No,!!!,I blooming dont ,all that washing up,,,,,,,,:}}

julia of sussex

julia of sussex Report 3 Aug 2008 13:42

We have a roast every sunday, my oh does all the cooking and i have the heavenly task of cleaing the kitchen afterwards only the three of us though.

I remember family christmases when there was about 30 of us great fun sad how times have changed

julia x

ps we have roast lamb with all the trimmings today
open invite to all

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 Aug 2008 13:47

I remember as I was the youngest I always had to sit on the linen basket as it wass high.....talk about emergency chairs ...pmsl..

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 3 Aug 2008 13:58

Kay, if family came over for lunch, THEY washed up. If we went to family for lunch, WE washed up...

I loved Christmasses. Hard work with all that cooking but to have a houseful of friends and family was the best thing ever.

Often had a second crowd over on Boxing day too.

I've used emergency chairs begged stolen and borrowed...along with the patio furniture and even beanbags at the coffee table for the little ones LOL

Deanna

Deanna Report 3 Aug 2008 14:02

Julia, in our house my husband does all the cooking.... (that is what he is anyway a baker, chef) and THE MESS HE MAKES!!
These days he cleans it up himself, but when I was fit and able... if we had friends over... he cooked and I did the cleaning. That way I could keep control of the kitchen.. well kind of.

Deanna X

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 3 Aug 2008 14:08

We still have a Sunday roast, even though it's just the two of us... we sometimes have my parents over.

Until a few years ago, our Sunday dinners were always eaten as a family, with all the papers laying around, a big home-made trifle for tea... and almost always had an extra few lads and lasses who were homesick, lol so would just drop in for a *family dinner*. I always cooked for an army!! ;¬)) The only rule we made was that they brought a chair, lol!!

Oh... and didn't give alcohol to either the dog or the teenaged sons, lololol

Love

Daff xxx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 Aug 2008 15:03

When dad was still living at home he always used to come over for his Sunday lunch and even when he moved to the care home we brought him over every so often.

Son left home 2 years ago but he's here most Sundays.

Gwynne

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 3 Aug 2008 15:32

Wish we could have sunday lunch with our family but our Son and his family work amd live in Qatar, so we only see them once a year

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 3 Aug 2008 15:41

Occasionally we have our daughter
and family round for sunday lunch/dinner
or we go to her .
but when all the children were at home
they had to be home for their christmas dinner
after that they could do what they liked .
Hazelx