General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Ideas What This Means?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

YorkshireSandra

YorkshireSandra Report 6 Aug 2008 18:44

Thank you for all the replies. Leading Aircraftman would seem to be the only explanation.

Sandra

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2008 13:55

That would seem to be a logical reason for using it.

Ann
Glos

YorkshireSandra

YorkshireSandra Report 6 Aug 2008 12:55

Found it on "Passenger lists leaving Uk 1890-1960 " on Find My Past.This was what Kathryn B said:
"On "Zero Day" - 29 April 1940, No. 1 Initial Training School, accommodated at the Eglinton Hunt Club in Toronto, opened its doors on schedule to the members of the first group of 221 trainees all classified as A.C. II (Aircraftman II)- at the very bottom of the rank structure entitled to $1.70 a day plus free room and board. Seventeen of these were washed out in training and the rest went on to become pilots, air observers, wireless operator-air gunners and air gunners. One hundred of them, the envy of their comrades, were selected for pilot training, promoted to the exalted rank of L.A.C. (Leading Aircraftman - $2.00 a day) and sent to 15 different flying clubs across Canada for the elementary phase of instruction. Forty-seven who finished their training before the others, came together again as No.1 Course at No.1 SFTS at RCAF Station Camp Borden. On 30 September 39 of them received their wings. Two were killed in air accidents and the others ceased training for one reason or another. On graduation about half of the group were commissioned and the others were promoted to sergeant rank."

Sounds like maybe it was his rank used to identify her.

Sandra

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2008 12:47

Exactly what record is it and where did you find it?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2008 12:46

I was going to say Leading Aircraft man but I see she was not in the services.
What does Kathryn suggest?
Ann
Glos

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 6 Aug 2008 12:45

Library and Archives Canada Sandra?

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 6 Aug 2008 12:43

Could you post the main points from her pm...............reworded so we can all see them please.

This is interesting and I would love to know the answer too:))

YorkshireSandra

YorkshireSandra Report 6 Aug 2008 12:40

Thanks to Kathryn B for her suggestions. Shame she's unable to post it on the Board.

Sandra

YorkshireSandra

YorkshireSandra Report 6 Aug 2008 12:23

It just has Lac followed by her name. Capital L ac in lowercase. I've asked my auntie and she has no idea what it means either!

Sandra

LadyBarbara

LadyBarbara Report 6 Aug 2008 11:51

Does it say (wo) anywhere (wife of)

LadyBarbara

LadyBarbara Report 6 Aug 2008 11:50

Leading Aircraft Man

Barbara

YorkshireSandra

YorkshireSandra Report 6 Aug 2008 11:46

I've found the record of my auntie, who was a war bride, leaving England in 1946 to go to Canada. In front of her name it has Lac . Has anyone any idea what this stood for? Her husband was a Canadian Airman and she was not in the Forces.

Sandra