General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THE RESTAURANT - ANYBODY WATCHING THIS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 25 Sep 2008 14:42

Last year this was a must see favourite of myself and the OH. We are watching it again, but I feel it needs to get going abit yet. I can't understand why some people are still in it, as they are so obviously no good, even at this stage, and I wouldn't want to open a restaurant with them. Some are totally clueless, and think that just because they are 'into food', they stand a chance of success.
Julia in Derbyshire

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 25 Sep 2008 14:47

Hi Julia

I didn't watch last year from the beginning but am enjoying this series even though its on twice each week.

Some of them this year do make you think if this is the best of the 100's that applied!!!

I think the best 2 couples so far are the ones who was restaurant of the week last night - fab cook just need a kick to get organised & the Mum & husband.

The father & daughter - well the father is unbelievable !

Julia

Julia Report 25 Sep 2008 14:59

Yes Penny, we feel the same about the father and daughter. Our favourites are the couple who run the restaurant called Nel's. She has great organizational skills, having a large family, and her husband is very good front of house, and supportive of her. Not so the couple of two men. One has good chef style skills and mannerisms, but fails to communicate with his partner, who is not the best organised person in the world
Julia in Derbyshire

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 25 Sep 2008 15:43

Hi Julia

Nel's is what I meant when I said Mum & husband - couldn't remember the name of the restaurant.

Wonder who will go tonight?

Julia

Julia Report 25 Sep 2008 15:59

Don't know who will go tonight. Unfortuately, I missed the end last night, but think it should be the father and daughter.
Julia in Derbyshire

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 26 Sep 2008 20:55

You were right Julia - wonder if it will be the boys next?

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 30 Oct 2008 08:22

Can't believe the boys made it through to the final !!
OH thought from near the beginning the winners would win !!

Wonder where their restaurant is?

Looked at to stay at Raymond's hotel/restaurant in Oxford. It was £695 !!!

Tina

Tina Report 30 Oct 2008 09:08

I think this is a good prog and I am glad that the boys didn't win, the others were my favoutites so I'm glad they won, I noticed the date on the Orient Express was July so I guess that means they have been in business with Raymond since then. I wonder too where the restuarant is?

My question is do they do a follow up prog so we can see how things have panned out?? I watched it last year but can't remember for the life of me who one but I don't think I saw any follow up prog about them which is a shame.............

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 30 Oct 2008 09:44

I was saying the other day - the layout is like the apprentice - it's a shame they don't do a similar programme to "You're fired" like they do after each Apprentice!

Just looked on the BBC website

THE PRIZE: The winners of the series will open a Restaurant with Raymond in 2009.

However, the first thing they will need is some training. This will take place under the guidance of the managing director of Raymond's group of brasseries, Brasserie Blanc.

Whilst training is taking place, a search will begin for a suitable premises which will then need to be refitted.

The winners will be guided by Raymond and the management team at Brasserie Blanc every step of the way.

We anticipate that the new restaurant will be opened by May 2009!!!!!!

Found details about series 1

The winners, Jeremy and Jane Hooper ( can't remember them ), beat eight other couples to win the chance to set up their own restaurant backed by French chef and restaurateur Raymond Blanc. The couple ran their restaurant, Eight at the Thatch, at Thame, Oxfordshire from November 2007 until May 2008 - that didn't last long!

There's more info !!!

The Thatch in Thame was renovated last year as the prize on the BBC2 show 'The Restaurant'. Jeremy & Jane Hooper won the show and opened Eight at the Thatch in November. Jane had a baby boy in March and she & Jeremy have decided to step down and return to Cornwall.

The Thatch is now run by the award-winning Peach Pub Company. Managing Director, Lee Cash, was one of Raymond Blanc's inspectors on the TV show

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 30 Oct 2008 10:29

Week Eight

Task: First Class Service - The finallists must cater for a group of discerning guests on one of the world's most romantic railway journeys.

Eliminated: Alasdair & James

Winners of the Restaurant 2008: Michele & Russell of The Cheerful Soul.

see http://micheleandrussell.blogspot.com/

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 30 Oct 2008 10:47

Was glad the boys didn't win,but can't say I was too impressed with Michelle and Russell.Found him very negative.Still,maybe Raymond will train them to his standard.I like Raymond,heard him on a programme on Classic FM,and he has worked extremely hard to get where he is,and he has a lovely manner with the contestants and doesn't shout!

Julia

Julia Report 30 Oct 2008 12:07

I remember the couple that won last year's final. Yes it was Jeremy and Jane, and they were up against the twins Laura and Jess He had been in the Royal Marines in Afghanistan, and hardly communicated with her, and she was always in tears. I did read, just before this series started, that they had gone back to Devon to open their own restaurant.
Not sure about this years couple, as I found Russell unemotional, and Raymond once said he had very little passion
julia in Derbyshire