General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THe History of Aprons.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 26 Oct 2008 14:31

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath,because she only had a few,it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for
removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ' old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma's aprons.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 26 Oct 2008 15:14

Thanks for that Brenda

That conjured up some lovely images :o))

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 26 Oct 2008 16:56

That was lovely.

I must admit I never wear an apron, but do have child sized ones in my drawer for the grandchildren when they come to lunch.

Frances

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 26 Oct 2008 17:42

My mum used to wear one and it
dried many a tear when i had fallen down and grazed my knees and hid many a sweet in the pocket as well lol

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Oct 2008 17:56

I've got a plastic pinny........does that count?

Sue
x

Julia

Julia Report 26 Oct 2008 18:02

Loved that story, and how very true. Brought back many memories of my mum,my friend's mum and my gran, from my childhood. I've not used one myself for years
Best Wishes
Julia in Derbyshire

Cyprus

Cyprus Report 26 Oct 2008 18:28

Wonder why nobody wears them now?

Janice

Janice Report 26 Oct 2008 18:39

And we just throw dirty clothes in the washing machine.

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 26 Oct 2008 19:18

I had my apron on this very day.......as I was making my christmas cake ....the Grand children both helped and we made a wonderful mess........lol

My one is home made ( but not as hugh as the old fashioned ones were ) its more like a carpenters style apron but in flowery material.

Sometimes I put it one when I need to motivate myself to go household jobs.

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 26 Oct 2008 19:40

I remember the first thing we had to make in needlework class at high school was a full length apron - for our domestic science class.

Also remember making a waist apron with smocking when I was a primary school - oh dear, have I just shown my age, lol.

Lindy

Lindy Report 26 Oct 2008 20:52

I always use an apron when in the kitchen as I am a messy cook.

If my clothes looked like my aprons I would have to bin them.

Lindy ;))))))))))))

edited!

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 26 Oct 2008 23:05

Amanda,
I wore a Christmassy plastic apron last Sunday when I made 3 big Christmas Cakes,but I don't normally wear one.
In 1950,my mother sewed aprons,that came all cut out and she had to bind them and put pockets on.She was paid very little,but saved up the money for my school weeks trip to Paris,which cost £26 in total!
Brenda x

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 27 Oct 2008 12:44

Being brought up in the 1930's, I always had to wear an apron or overall in doors, to protect my clothes.

I still do not feel right unless I have an overall on indoors, and as I am writing this, am wearing a button up overall.

Cant seem to find them now.

My Gran and Aunt always wore the ones that were wrap around.

Mo

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 27 Oct 2008 13:02

i still wear one on sundays to make lunch in as i always have better clothes on and hate splash marks on my good clothes

Julia

Julia Report 27 Oct 2008 13:11

I always used to make and wear a white one when doing silver service waitressing. I wear one when in the greenhouse working at the bench to avoid a line of compost across my front of clothes. If you could buy them these days, I'd probably use one. My friend, same age, uses a tabard,so she can whip it of quickly if 'company' turns up. Her mum used to wear the wrap around kind when we were kids, but my mum wore the ordinary type.

Dianne

Dianne Report 27 Oct 2008 15:14

My little boy loves baking and he wears an apron that was my great auntie's, his great great auntie.

I bet she would be proud as punch to know that it is still on the go.

Dianne xx